NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Blue Super Moon - Jan 31st 2018

DrRobin

Hi,

The last time I imaged the moon it was, as it turned out, to be a blue moon as well, that was from Kefalonia so tonigh's opportunity was too good to miss.  The weather was a bit windy and cold, but gave some clear skies and my garage gave enough shelter for an hour of imaging with a William Optics Zenithstar 80mm and ASI174MM (normally my solar rig).

I bagged the full disc without barlow and two 12 pane mosaics, one in 16 bit and one in 8 bit, sadly still in the wash, so here is the moon all in one go.  15% from 2,000 frames.

25141119917_74146b5cc3_b.jpgBlue Super Moon (the 2nd in one month), January 2018, 80mm refractor, ASI174MM, 31/01/18 by Robin DrRobin, on Flickr

Robin

Lovely indeed Robin, very nice detail.

Actually it has help me identify something I saw on the terminator last night. There was a bright feature something separating from the limb a little, and I think it was the edge of Mare Humboltianum. Nice :) 

EDIT Scratch that, it was the crater Riemann :) 

Thanks guys.

Just lucky to have a clear sky without any haze.  I started at 20:00 and had finished by 20:50.  Just after 21:00 some cloud came in but it came out crystal clear later and seemed to last most of the night, not that I could enjoy, I am still recovering from a bit of man flu and am currently banned from going outside and fiddling with my night time scope (this doesn't count, I stood in the garage to take it). 

I am really pleased with how the results came out, I have another 12 pane run, this one in 16 bit, but I doubt it will be any better than the one above and haven't processed it yet.

Stu, I don't know how you know all this stuff about the moon, I would be hard pressed to name more than 2 features on the moon.  Perhaps I should look at my lunar chart once in a while.  BTW if you spot a crater without a name do you get to name it?  I could name one after the misses, oh, perhaps not she might not want to be linked with a craggy feature in a cold distant place.

Cracking image Robin, much better than I observed with my two eyes.

My view was ever so slightly soft and wavering due to observing over the neighbours rooftops, but a nice evening nonetheless.

I really enjoyed viewing the detail on your image.

Ade

Archived