Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pacman HaHaRGB from Kelling

MartinB

This was done on the Saturday night. Another clear night and pretty sleep deprived at this point. Although good early on transparency declined through the evening (although better than in the red field strangely hehe). Unfortunately cloud stopped play at about 2.15am Had hoped to go all night with it. This was my ED120's swansong as an imaging scope, will now be using an F4 newt at this focal length. Was using with a WO 0.8 reducer/flattener.

Camera QSI 532ws Ha 8x1200 secs RGB each 7x150secs binned x2

Maxim just wouldn't accurately align the RGB channels. Finally realised that I had left some little humps on the brighter stars which confused maxim when working out the centroid for alignment. Finally turned off the centroid calculator and aligned manually. I used a new technique for processing described by Rob Gendler. Aiming to preserve the Ha red whilst not compromising the star colour. Quite pleased with how it worked out.

Have included a mono for those who prefer. On to the M31 data now!

8931_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

8932_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

I am fond of mono imagery, but I agree on the colour of this one. A very nice

bit of processing. Super looking stars too. Not bad at all for a sleep deprived job. :)

You surely are not retiring the 120 Martin, and is the Newt. an 8" f4.?

Ron. :D

Thanks for the nice feedback chaps.

Out of interest, I thought the ED120 was a refractor - where have the diffraction spikes come from?

Trev

A bit of processing bling Trev. I wanted to accentuate the stars a little so did it with spikes.

Kevin and Ron - it's the GSO 8" F4 Newt with Baader Steeltrack focuser and enlarged secondary. Will be using with a Baader coma corrector. Not getting rid of the ED120 though, it's a wonderful scope. That will be going on an old Super Polaris and used for lunar and planetary observing. Want to do more lunar sketching

Very nice indeed Martin, the colour one looks great , like it , but the Mono does show that outer nebulosity more than the Colour, so we have two outstanding images, nice to see the both .

Rog :cheers:

You're right Rog, you can put in the luminence with full opacity and more or less keep the detail but the colour is very diluted, the ha becomes a sort of pastel peach. The technique I used goes a long way but colour can never match mono for fine contrast. Guess that's why you love mono!

You're right Rog, you can put in the luminence with full opacity and more or less keep the detail but the colour is very diluted, the ha becomes a sort of pastel peach. The technique I used goes a long way but colour can never match mono for fine contrast. Guess that's why you love mono!

And the license is cheaper...:)

Archived