Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

26 Jan - Big Dob plays Oliver Twist in the darkness before dawn

alanjgreen

Date: Friday 26th January 0400-0645am        Scope: 20” f3.6 Lukehurst Dob with Paracorr (fl = 2089mm)

“Please Sir, I want some more?”

Well, it’s been pretty thin gruel so far in January here in Cumbria, with only three sessions out with the dob. I spotted a potential dawn raid for this morning a few days back and the weather forecast kept changing its mind whether it would be on or off! As is customary for me, I set my alarm for 0300 knowing that the full moon is around the corner to banish me to the TV for another 10 days or so. Last chance saloon...

“The artful dodger…”

I was up at 0300 and the sky was clearing from the North. So I got dressed and headed outside to my shed. The sky above was pretty black with plenty of stars…

I got the scope unwrapped & collimated then rolled back the roof…

Clouds! - I ended up sitting around for 30 minutes as a large bank of the fluffy stuff passed over then it started to clear again :(

I spent the time identifying potential target Comets in Sky Safari and well as heading back to the house to grab my sketches of a couple of supernova that I hoped to check out too (that I had forgotten).

There were soon enough bright stars above to get my Nexus fully locked & loaded (two star alignment completed). The star test on Arcturus was pretty encouraging too.

“Bless their dear little hearts”

M51 glx - Starting with the ethos10 (x200), I pushed over to M51. Two bright spirals encircled the galaxy (pretty large too at this magnification). NGC5195 was big and bright too. The arms were not at their best and the bridge was a challenge too far. I dropped down to the ethos13 (x150) but gained little. I know from my visit on 30Nov what M51 can deliver so I left feeling a little disappointed…

M101 glx – Back in Nov, M101 had not cleared the shed roof. Now it was straight overhead. This was my primary target for the session. With the E13 still loaded, I centred the galaxy on the iPad. At the eyepiece the galaxy started to come into view… Immediately it filled the whole fov of the E13 and I settled to observe and start to work out what I was seeing (thin cloud was still out and about overhead at this stage). I started to make my first sketch of the view in my mind (so I could put it on paper in a few moments…). An arm to the far left, an arm to the far right with bright patches at the end. Another arm coming down underneath. Black bubble upper left. Over to the desk to put it on paper.

Back to the eyepiece. I am now seeing three arms, they seem evenly spaced… Another quick sketch.

Back once more. I am starting to notice small bright areas in averted vision dotted around. Concentrate on those arms, plot out their paths in my mind… Back to the paper for a third iteration. I add these "M101 internal NGCs" to my sketch as "X" marks the spot.

Now a look at an image in sky safari. Not bad. Pretty close actually… :) 

101.jpg.305d0fe434c4771cafb8e40b61f0aaeb.jpg

In with the Ethos21, not as good. Back to the E13. This continued for a while until I started to ponder dawn and my other targets… onwards!

Back to M51. No better.

Owl nebula - E13. Unfiltered. Small "cloudy" patch. The "eyes" were coming and going too! :)

M82 – E13. Long and very bright. One clear black “dart” into the side. Cannot find the second “dart” that I have seen on previous visits.

M81 – Shed wall taking away some of the mirror. Its big and round. I can see a clear circular edge but its missing its heart.

M108 – long and thin. I spot a bright sparkle to the far edge, quick check on sky safari, yes its PGC…. embedded in the far edge.

M106 – A lovely “S” shape (not as clear as previously seen) but half the “S” is pretty clear. I spot a galaxy to the side (NGC4248). I nudge it to centre and spot a pair of galaxies to the side (NGC4231+4232) and so on through 4220 – 4218 – 4217 – 4226 :)

[Thought of the day crosses my mind - How do observers with big dobs and no push-to identify all these galaxies, there are just so many ??? – I love galaxy season!]

NGC5981,5982,5985 – I stumble upon a lovely trio of galaxies framed nicely in the E13. A thin edge on, a small side on and a large side on. Worth a look next time you are out! :)

NGC6217 & SN2018gj – The galaxy is not well placed with the shed roof apex in the way. I line it up and head to the eyepiece. I can see the galaxy (its long and faint). I memorize some star patterns from the view and compare them to my pre-prepared sketch. There are three close stars on the sketch but I cannot match them to the view. I see three stars but they see too far apart. FAIL. I am sure the SN was there in the view but I did not identify it exactly. :(

“You’ve got to pick a Comet or two!”

62P/Tsuchinshan1failed, too low in sky.

2016 N6 PANSTARRS – E13. Small and faint but reasonably well packed. Pretty easy to spot. Switched to the E10 and a small dot core appeared surrounded by a compact dust circle. No tail. :)

“We have none of us long to wait for Death. Patience, patience! He'll be here soon enough for us all.”

I decide it’s time for a Globular finale and line up on M13 Hercules cluster.

M13 gc – In the E13 it looks bright and compact. In with the E8 (x250), that’s more like it. Bright and blinding with varying shades of background dust within. Stars all the way to the centre. My mind turns to my new Ethos6 (x348) and I have to give it a go! WOW. Unexpectedly, the stars can be focused all the way to the centre. M13 is now huge (over half the fov) and so many stars. Its also on the move (at this magnification) and nudging is needed. I settle on a side-to-side drift and enjoy the view deep into the centre. :) 

M3 gc – Over to M3. The E6 is not focusing well on this target. Back to the E8, that’s better! Another lovely globular. I watch it for a while…

M92 gc – Time for another. E8. Very nice but not as good as the other 2. I try for M5 but its too low.

"How light a thing will disturb the equanimity of our frail minds"

Dawn is coming in the east, I try another target but its diminishing returns at this point. I decide to call it a morning!

I feel much better now I managed to get one more session in before the full moon.

On the plus side, “Galaxy season is upon us” but on the negative side, “its only 8 weeks until the clocks change”, I hope my weather luck changes in February…

Clear Skies,

Alan

(Embedded a few quotes from "Oliver Twist" by Charles Dickens, I reserve the right to change the odd letter or word :) )

That's dedication Alan, as you imply whatever it takes to gain a good deep sky session period. I like your approach to sketching and to verify some of those internal NGC features. I to enjoy the thrill of looking for galaxies when they are overhead as you had with M101. Last week it was for NGC 2403, but the arrival of thin cloud diminished the potential - hugging the dob though has become a technique. I shall note that trio of galaxies. To quote another passage from Charles Dickens, Oliver Twist "There is a passion for hunting something deeply implanted in the human breast". 

On 26/01/2018 at 16:07, scarp15 said:

I like your approach to sketching and to verify some of those internal NGC features.

Thanks. It's amazing how you see more the longer you look. I find identifying key sections then allows you to zone in more on each section. Once your brain knows "it's" there, then you keep seeing it again easier and easier. It's a bit like doing a jigsaw :) 

Archived