NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

90mm aperture , what you can see.

cotterless45

Vixen 90 f11 my white light solar, out and let's see what it can do.

Quick tour of Messier's, lots of contrast and acceptable views of Bode's, a lovely M35 and "the Eskimo " NGC 2392 quite obvious in the field. Playing around I managed some views with the Hyperion 21 and 10mm looking impressively sharp across the field.

Cepheus. The "Garnet Star" (SAO 33693) looked spectacularly deep orange, this huge star would fill the orbit between Jupiter and Saturn. It varies from +3.6-+5.0. I caught the colourful triple midst IC 1396.

Canis Major.M41 showed delightful chains.Over to h3945  (SAO 173344) narrower colourful "winter Albireo" at 26.8" than iota Cancri.

Cancer.managed to split Tegmine, then onto iota (08h47.8m. +28 41') at 30.1" and a lovely colourful +4 +6.

Lepus.R ("Hind's Crimson") +8.7 SAO 150058 gave not much , over the town with the moon still up. It does vary to become just blood red. Massive enough to fill Jupiter's orbit.

Monoceros. NGC2301 , still dragon like ! Great tour of binaries and multiples.
Samoht (α) very bright orange (giant x60 diameter of Sol) 148 lys away SAO134986
Σ956 ,a very challenging triple ( aperture !)+8 +9+10.7. X9.4 diameter of Sol.
Σ910 orange giant, wide at 66" +6.9 +8.1
10 Monocerotis (SAO 133299) +5 +9.5 at 77".
8 Mon.(SAO 113812) 12.3" split 2 degrees ne of the rosette.Unrelated pair.
Beta Mon. Finest triple in our hemisphere, bright and split clean 2.9".(SAO133317)
15 Mon, (SAO 114258), base of the tree ,NGC2264.
Zeta (ζ) (SAO 135551) yellow and blue arc of triple stars.
ΟΣΣ 79,lovely orange colour.
V838 lovely red of this variable at 07h04m. -3 50'.

Some very surprising views, contrast and colour. Σ 956 was very pleasing as Sissy Haas reported as not being seen in 125mm aperture. Aperture with decent skies can get your very pleasing observations under clear skies !

Nick.IMG_5487.thumb.JPG.81c38cfe8c23d51241e4940590aee17e.JPGIMG_5488.thumb.JPG.f701a299c390d991a6094661e65975b0.JPGIMG_5489.thumb.JPG.5ebacf0ffd7aca68b71bc860e3a591d2.JPG

Excellent!

Looking back in history, didnt Beer & Madler, or rather Madler using Beers 3.75" Fraunhoffer refractor, unwittingly bring selenography to a complete stand still for decades? Proof if proof were needed, that a scope of 90mm, or there abouts, can not only be a satisfying, but also a powerful tool in the hands of a diligent observer! 

Love your sketches! Star fields are so sexy!! :icon_cyclops_ani:

I really like the sketches it gives me a reference as to what I should be seeing when viewing these objects. 

All in a 90 mm I should easily get these with the Tal as long as the skies are clear and seeing not milky.

Great report and some fine objects to add to my ever lengthening lists.

Enjoyed the observing report. I have a smaller Vixen, a Custom 80, very early Japanese one with a collimateable objective cell. It often amazes me what a small refractor will do. Unfortunately, I don’t use it much because my back lets me know if I stoop low to get to the eyepiece when viewing at a high elevation, so my much shorter Pronto gets used more, plus it lets me get down to 14x with a 5 degree field. But the Vixen gives a nicer view at higher powers. I suppose a TV 76 would be better, with very low to high mags in one scope, combined with not having to get down so low.

Ed.

Lovely report Nick, as always. I often leave my WL set up to have dark sky sessions later if the forecast is promising. I am of often pleasantly surprised at the views I get with my SW 102 when the seeing is reasonable. You have given me some nice targets for my next session, if the skies ever clear. Thanks again Nick.

2 hours ago, NGC 1502 said:

Enjoyed the observing report. I have a smaller Vixen, a Custom 80, very early Japanese one with a collimateable objective cell. It often amazes me what a small refractor will do. Unfortunately, I don’t use it much because my back lets me know if I stoop low to get to the eyepiece when viewing at a high elevation, so my much shorter Pronto gets used more, plus it lets me get down to 14x with a 5 degree field. But the Vixen gives a nicer view at higher powers. I suppose a TV 76 would be better, with very low to high mags in one scope, combined with not having to get down so low.

Ed.

Hi Ed,

Have you thought about using a half pier to heighten the scope, or perhaps a taller tripod? May be even a permanent pier, then you can leave the mount attached and covering it when its not in use?! If you like to stand while observing, a pier set at the right height makes things much easier, as you only need to carry the scope to the observing area! 

Below is a pic of my elderly friends 90mm scope on his permanent pier. Not much bending with that one! :grin:

5a69dfdfb20d0_2017-03-2411_46_18.thumb.jpg.500116534ddf694910b410eb867d57c8.jpg

3 hours ago, NGC 1502 said:

Ed.

Ed, you owe your back a taller mount!

My TV Genesis with TV 55mm Plossl gives 9x mag (500/55) & 11.9x with Vixen LVW 42mm, so no need for a finder. I wish there was a pier height extender for its panoramic mount. I am considering suitably stalwart strap-on stilts for its tripod. 

2 hours ago, 25585 said:

Ed, you owe your back a taller mount!

My TV Genesis with TV 55mm Plossl gives 9x mag (500/55) & 11.9x with Vixen LVW 42mm, so no need for a finder. I wish there was a pier height extender for its panoramic mount. I am considering suitably stalwart strap-on stilts for its tripod. 

Many thanks for the two suggestions for a taller mount. I could concrete in a pier in my favourite observing spot. It would save my  back, be very solid. Perhaps a concrete fence post would be good, with one of my alt-az heads on top, or an EQ.

Sorry to the opening poster for my thread drift.......?..........Ed.

To keep this equally way off topic, the height of the scope does play Havoc with my back too, so understand your feelings.
I have used a higher tripod and an observing seat and now find I cope with this, but I am using and ED80.
A fixed pier is fine as long as its in a reasonable location.

Archived