NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Frustrating focuser problem

Astrofriend

Today I installed the puch pull screws for the focuser drawer tube. As always when going from theory to practise there will be some complications. I had to do the holder of the screws adjustable to have it center the nuts in the timing gears. But that was an easy task.

Have a look at the bottom of the page to see the progress:

http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/projects/project-focus-friction/page14-project-focus-friction.html

/Lars

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/04/2018 at 20:23, Peter Drew said:

The cheapest, easiest instant fix is to use a couple of rubber bands, one end fitted to the eyepiece locking screw and the other to a fixed part of the focuser. using the correct tension will keep the focusing action firm yet balanced.   :icon_biggrin:

Although not a Crayford it works very well on my Tal 100rs. 

20220603_085831.jpg

• 1 year later...

After many years I have now my TS130 APO refractor up and running again. The new push pull focuser I designed and the motor focuser controller for INDI made it.

One of the first test photos, it's taken from home with Bortle Class 9 environment.

http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/astronomy-photo/galaxies/m51/m51-galaxy.html

It's very noisy but the focuser worked very well.

Lars