SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M81 from Kelling

Whippy

After about an hour or so into taking the subs for this, SteveL asked me what I was imaging and his response to my answer was 'Ooo, brave'. Go and look at your favourite planetarium program and see just how low down this is, then take into account that I wasn't using any LP filter on this and you can see that his answer was quite appropriate! Saying that, Kelling's north view heads straight out to sea so IMO it was an educated risk :smiley:.

Anyway, enough of my babbling! (moi? tired?) Real shame that there's a few blobs on the image which is a little strange considering that I did M33 straight after and there's none on that....

M81. 2hrs 40 mins (40 x 4 mins) exposure time, taken with an Atik 16HR with an IR cut on the nosepiece through a WO ZS110. Guided by a WO ZS66, QHY5 and PHD all atop an EQ6 pro. Stacked in DSS and mucked about in Photoshop.

8874_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Tony..

Cracking image Tony, I thought I might have got an acknowledgement though for providing the dew heater strap for your guidescope. Well worth the wait though looking at it, a magnificent effort (how many subs ruined by the volvo driver who suddenly appeared and lit up all our lives).

Steve..

Thanks all for the kind words, goes to show what advantages dark skies can bring even to imaging. Also observing parts of the Veil VERY clearly through James' C10N with an OIII filter is something that's also sticking in my mind..

Matt, I was planning on doing a M81/82 mosaic but I'll leave that for later in the year when it rises out of the murk that is my northern view.

Yes Steve, I'd have never have done it without the dewstrap you provided (although the dew on Saturday was nowhere near as bad as it was on Thursday or Friday :smiley:). Wierdly none of the subs got ruined by the twonk in the Volvo :shock:....

Tony..

Archived