SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Little Dumbell

Petergoodhew

I do like Planetary Nebulae and have long wanted to have a go at this one.  Imaged from Spain.  RGB with HA and OIII added.  20 hours of data capture. As it lives up to it's name and is quite small I prefer to display it cropped.

NGC650 RGBHaOIII crop.jpg

For those wanting to see every pixel here is the un-cropped version

NGC650 RGBHaOIII.jpg

16 hours ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Another top image on this difficult target Peter. Well done.

Thanks Barry.  I think this is a very pretty target (as cataclysmic explosions go!) and it was fun to process.  A lot of dynamic range to manage.  I'm nit happy though about the amount of green, so have had a go at fixing that.  I'm much happier with the result now.

NGC650 RGBHaOIII.jpg

NGC650 RGBHaOIII crop.jpg

15 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

Very nice indeed, Peter, especially the full FOV version. Ironically, I prefer the one that retains some of the green but either way, a very pretty object.

Thanks Steve.  Olly always tells me off if he finds any green lurking in my images! I got your new book last week and found it invaluable in processing this image.  I just wish you had published it a couple of years ago! It will make a huge difference to my processing from now on.

17 minutes ago, Petergoodhew said:

Thanks Steve.  Olly always tells me off if he finds any green lurking in my images!

Pah, what does Olly know? ................................................................................ actually, quite a lot :D

19 minutes ago, Petergoodhew said:

I got your new book last week and found it invaluable in processing this image.  I just wish you had published it a couple of years ago! It will make a huge difference to my processing from now on.

That's great news, Peter, thank you, I'm really pleased you like the book. I should have published it a couple of years ago but life got in the way!

Archived