Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

7 Jan – Big Dob enjoys the dark side before the moonlight rises

alanjgreen

Date: Sunday 7th Jan 2030pm-0000am        Scope: 20” f3.6 Lukehurst Dob with Paracorr (fl = 2089mm)

Now the moon is waning, the big dob is itching to come out and play. I managed a couple of hours on Saturday before the Devils Orb made an appearance and tonight the sky was visibly darker than yesterday but not as giving, the milky way was visible and I could just make out the double cluster lying within but Andromeda was not seen (during my naked eye pre-flight sight check) as I glanced up after I arrived outside.

These were new conditions for me and the dob, usually Andromeda is dead easy and M33 has been spotted. Still, I never miss a clear night (unless its full moon :)) as you never know when the next one will come along!

Attack of the "Comets"

Once setup & collimated, I decide to start with some comets as they had been a bit of an afterthought the previous night (and a challenge too).

Comet C/2017 T1 Heinze – Starting in Cassiopeia, I centered the Nexus/Sky Safari 5 combo on comet heinze. The Ethos13 (x150) was loaded. It was a challenge to find it at first but once I had it, I recognized the two stars nearby as the same ones I saw the previous night. The comet had moved an inch or so from where it was the night before (and they say that it’s moving fast?) :). The comet was best described as a small faint fuzzy patch. It had been brighter the day before but clearly tonights conditions were not as good. I tried more power but the view was too dark.

Comet C/2016 R2 PanstarrsIf Heinze was faint, then Panstarrs had fainted! Wow, it took some finding. I could not find it in the ethos13 but got it in the end using the ethos10 (x200) and it was a very faint fuzzy patch sitting above a field star. It was before 2100 so maybe when it got a bit darker then it would be better (but I forgot to come back!)

Revenge of the "Nebulas"

After a quick look at M35 open cluster, which was nice and bright, I headed for…

Lowers nebula – With the ethos13 unfiltered, I could make out some faint edges and trace along them. I tried Astronomik UHC, O3 & Hb and there was no clear winner. This is a difficult target and was made more difficult as I had no idea what it actually looks like (& sky safari had no photo!). Looking at some images this morning then I may do better next time. It seemed to be oblong in shape but I found that it moved off in two directions. What filter is it supposed to respond best to?

Cone – I had spent time last night on the Cone and had got the bottom edge then. Tonight was another story and I did not see much at all. I tried the ethos13(x150) & ethos8 (x250). With the E13, I noted that it was surrounded by plenty of gas (but not right up close) except at the bottom edge. The sides were not clear, the best I got was when I let it drift right out to the edge of the ethos fov and then maybe glimpses of the sides came and went? Strangely, I felt that the UHC was working better than the Hb. The Ethos8 proved useful on this target and I am convinced that it can be bagged in this eyepiece on the right night.

Flame – The ethos13 and UHC were already in the focuser. As I moved to the Flame, it was disappointing compared to previous visits. I could make out some dark fuzzy shape but could not hold it in direct vision. There was no clear defined shape.

Horsehead – E13. Onto the horsehead, not expecting much. But there it was. Yes, with the UHC. It was just visible and better than some previous attempts with the UHC too! It was best seen by moving up past it and then coming back down the gas lane until the dark patch just appears at the bottom the eyepiece FOV. Its easy to hold in averted vision from there.

I swapped in the Hb filter. The dark patch of the horsehead was now darker and easier to pick out. I got it in direct vision a couple of times.

Flame – Back to the Flame with the Hb. The flame was just visible with no defined shape.

M42 Orion neb – E13 & UHC. I got a nice view of the "baby birds head" but it was not as bright as previously (sort of a "dull gull"). It was still nice and I nudged around M42 and enjoyed the scale of the nebula in its surroundings.

M78 neb – E13 & UHC. Not viewed this in the dob yet, so centred it up. It was much brighter and larger than the view from my old C11. But remained an underwhelming target. I’ll come back another night to try again.

Rosette neb – E13 & UHC. Wow, it looks good tonight. :) So much so, I wish I had the E21 which I left in the house to keep it warm. This nebula needs the big field of the E21 but last time I was here the darker background of the E13 had proved a winner. Well, my cold feet could do with a walk back to the house…

Return of the "Ethos21"

Rosette neb – E21 & UHC. Come back E21, all is forgiven! This is the best view of the Rosette that I have had. The E21 provided a lovely dark background (I did say the sky looked dark earlier) and now the nebula was full of texture. I saw several dark lanes within the clouds of nebula gas as I nudged around. I think this is my favourite nebula, there is just so much of it :)

After this, my spirits were right up and I thought that a retrace of my targets with the E21 was needed...

Cone – back to the Cone. E21 & UHC. Plenty of gas to be seen in the general nebula. I nudge around and up past the cone. There is a bright blob that catches my eye... Whats that? A quick check on Sky Safari and it’s the Hubble’s Variable Nebula (a new one for me) :). I stayed a while longer but no real sign on the cone :(

Flame – back to the flame. Now its much better with the UHC. I can see two dark chunky horizontal lanes.

Horsehead – E21 & UHC. Yes, there it is. Dark patch now seen easily :)

I swap in the Hb filter. The dark patch is once again darker and easier to see.

Back to the Flame with the Hb. The dark lanes have lost their well defined edges but now I can see three horizontal lanes. :) 

M37 open cluster – A lovely cluster in the E21. So many bright stars. Heart warming :)

Pinwheel cluster – E21. Another nice cluster with fewer stars than M37.

Starfish cluster – E21. More of the same. Pattern less well defined.

Flaming star neb – E21 & Hb. Seen but pretty faint. Visible in large areas. It’s a struggle moving around it as a whole and the tail section is disconnected. Not the best result but pleased to see it on this particular night. :( 

2403 glx – The moon is starting to brighten the sky in the east :( so I decide to try a galaxy or two before I finish up. NGC 2403 in the E21 shows as a lovely bright patch of a decent size. I spend some time but cannot pick out the arms.  With all this brightness it’s definitely one to revisit...

With that, I decide that Ive had enough and its time to warm my toes...

After closing the roof (which needs a bit of extra oomph to get through the ice now sitting on the track) and seeing the scope covered with a decent amount of ice, I am surprised by how cold it has got. Checking the thermometer in the shed, its showing -4. The top of the desk and eyepiece case have a lovely layer of ice too.

It's still cold & clear outside now (as I type up this report), hope it remains so and lets me out to play again later…

Clear skies,

Alan

Great session again Alan. Your description for Sh2 -261 Lowers nebula in Orion, seems to relate to my own encounter, the just visible aspects seemed to be quite fragmented. I was using a UHC and 21E / 31T5. It was difficult to gain a sense of composition, quite underwhelming visually perhaps. There had been a very good image posted in the imagers section that conveyed this nebula region clearly and defining a more wholesome profile. Very nice description for the Rosette, I look forward to getting back on this. 

On 08/01/2018 at 17:59, alanjgreen said:

Hicksons 55 seems to mag 16/17. That may be a struggle :) 

Hardest thing I've tried for, mind you I've not been out for that long finding the moon might be a struggle :grin:

Archived