Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newbie :)

Saxony

Hi, I posted on another part of the forum with some general questions, but I just found this section so thought I would say hi here too. I'm Rebecca and have 3 daughters. My eldest has allways been interested in the planets and space from a young age, she is 12 in a couple of weeks. My 8 year old has now also shown an interest as well so I thought we would gather as much info as possible and get ourselves a telescope. I have ordered "turn left at orion" as recommended to me yesterday and can't wait till we actually decide on what telescope to get. I am so excited but trying not to rush into anything lol.

Sax

Hi Sax, Welcome to SGL!

There is plenty of help and advice here at your disposal, feel free to ask a ton of questions. Its always a joy to here of the younger generation being interested in astronomy too. It really is an ageless hobby.

Matt

ps Turn Left is an excellent start

I also recommend downloading Stellarium, its free :thumbright: oops read your other thread

Hello Rebecca hope you enjoy it here. It's great you are discovering this hobby as a family. As a young child I also used to look towards the stars with my father and it was really great fun.

Loads of people here will give you great advice on what scope to choose. My advice would be a dobsonian, this is mainly due to the cost factor and aperture that you get. You do not want to get to small as you will not see alot and might get dejected and pack the hobby in.

Hope to speak again.

Welcome, an best of luck in your search for a telescope. You might want to consider looking at the UK Astronomy Buy and Sell for a used scope. Both my scopes came off that site, used and in great condition. Ask questions here before you buy.

Tow of my four kids (they are all i their 20s) will come out and look through the scope if I invite them. The other two will if I twist their arms up behind their backs and frog-march them to the scope. :smiley:

Hi Rebecca, and a warm welcome to SGL, to both you and your daughters.

I have already responded to your other 'post', along several other of our members.

I guess one very valid comment that was made, is to try and look through as many different scopes as you can.

A local club would be ideal for doing this, if there is one close to wherever you are.

In the mean time, enjoy SGL, feel free to keep asking questions, and one final point DON'T dash out and buy a 'high street shop' telescope, or one from the many popular mail-order catalogues.

These are usually little more than toys, and will likely 'kill off' your interest at a very early stage.

Dave

Archived