NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What telescope.

the 10" dob will show you more faint deep sky objects and allow you to magnify planet more on the best nights... personally I'd go for the larger aperture, but some people like the contrast  that a refractor delivers even though magnification on a smaller aperture will be more limited.

Just now, LukeSkywatcher said:

What kind of budget are we looking at?. I suppose given the fact we know you are looking at either a 120mm Frac or a 10" Dob, we can kind of guess the sort of budget.

yes!...and for that sort of money I'd been lookin on ABS..

Are you new to astronomy? If you are maybe try a small refractor or maybe a 6 inch Dobsonian?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/skywatcher-skyliner-150p-dobsonian.html

Something like this will do. It's great value, and you can see a lot visually (although do not expect to see what you see in photographs, even a 30 inch scope cannot see the detail you see in photos)

If you are not new to astronomy, then follow everyone else's guidelines > go for a 10 inch or 12 inch Dob.

All the best!

Clear skies

2 hours ago, Ross boakes said:

Hi to you all. I need help choosing what scope to buy should I go for a 120mm refactor or a 10inch dobsonian..it's for solar system and deep space observing.

To help you make a bette choice for yourself id like to compare your question to someone buying vehicles, the large dob would be a truck, the 120mm refractor would be a small sedan, both will get you from point A to B but ultimately your needs will determine the best choice.

A refractor in 120mm range will be on the border of grab and go and not so grab and go since you'll need a decent mount to keep it steady, it definitely will be easier to lug around than a large dob and you'll definitely use it more often.

from a visual point of view if you are more interested in lunar, planetary, and globular clusters for example then a refractor will fill those needs nicely and a good 120mm doublet for example will provide fantastic planetary and lunar views.

If you are more interested in deep space observing then light gathering capability is of utmost importance, the larger a telescope is the greater its light gathering capability, which will allow for greater detail when viewing deep sky objects like galaxies and nebula, keep in mind many of these objects will be visible in both scopes but as mentioned they will be brighter and more detailed in a larger scope.

Another consideration would be your experience in the hobby, a dob will be a great scope but it will certainly require a little more maintenance than a refractor which rarely asks you for more than just dropping in an eyepiece and pointing, dobsonians will need collimating to some degree almost every time you take it down that bumpy road to a dark site and if its a truss tube model there is always the build it and break it down again routine. A dobsonian is less forgiving to light polluted skies and not so good seeing conditions, so to get the most of it you'll want to be under dark skies, a refractor is more forgiving under less than perfect conditions and it will provide more contrasty images.

Hmmm...those two scopes are on opposite ends of the telescope choosing spectrum, im sure if you asked even the most seasoned observer if they had to go away to an island forever and only take one scope with them, a 12 inch dob or a 5 inch refractor they would wrack their brains over it and end up sobbing in the fetal position trying to decide lol.

but you are not faced with this dilemma, you have time on your side, every model of telescope has its strengths and weaknesses, any observer will say that, and over the years you will not ever buy a single scope and keep that one for more than a year without becoming curious about other models if you truly are fascinated by this amazing hobby.

I am in no way considered an extremely knowledgable observer or one of this forums guru advisors, but i have owned about 11 telescopes throughout my many years looking up and have enjoyed every single one immensely, small refractors as a 10 yr old kid to 11 inch cassegrains, large dobsonians, solar scopes and just recently discovering maksutov cassegrains after purchasing one.

The other members here were amazing, providing advice about my mak and what i can look forward to, every scope you'll own will be like you are discovering this hobby anew, if you are a novice and are just getting into astronomy id urge you not to waste too much time searching and searching for advice, loosing sleep over which scope to buy because whatever you choose will amaze you, and as some time passes, you'll develop your style and observing preferences.

When it comes to astronomy there is no perfect do it all scope unless you own hubble, don't let this long novel i just wrote confuse you, if you are indeed getting into this hobby (forgive the lecture if thats not the case) you will own many scopes, its next to impossible for anyone to tell you which telescope you'll enjoy more than the other. The first time you see Saturn's rings, it will make not a scrap of difference whether you're looking through a 120mm refractor or a 20 inch dob,  the emotional impact will be the same. 

Is it a first telescope?

How are your skies? Dark? Or light polluted?

What sort of mount have you got in mind for the refractor?

What do you have in mind when you say "deep space observing"?

The answers to those questions will help us to help you.

Personally, I love my dobs, I have a 10" and an 18", but if it was down to one scope, I'd stick with my refractor, especially for planet/solar system viewing and for the brighter deep space objects, for instance those on Messiers list.

Some types of telecopes are best for certain types of objects, while others are best for others. No one type of telescope excels at all things up there. If you look below at my 'signature'- this fact is explains why I have so many telescopes in my arsenal.

Oh & by the way - Maksutovs' are great for solar-system objects, and you'll get a larger aperture - £ for £ - than with a refractor. But hey, get what you love! :p Some folk do great and fun astronomy with a pair of binoculars alone for a lifetime! There is no wrong or right. It's mighty big Universe - there's room for all.

Enjoy!

Dave

22 hours ago, Sunshine said:

To help you make a bette choice for yourself id like to compare your question to someone buying vehicles, the large dob would be a truck, the 120mm refractor would be a small sedan, both will get you from point A to B but ultimately your needs will determine the best choice.

A refractor in 120mm range will be on the border of grab and go and not so grab and go since you'll need a decent mount to keep it steady, it definitely will be easier to lug around than a large dob and you'll definitely use it more often.

from a visual point of view if you are more interested in lunar, planetary, and globular clusters for example then a refractor will fill those needs nicely and a good 120mm doublet for example will provide fantastic planetary and lunar views.

If you are more interested in deep space observing then light gathering capability is of utmost importance, the larger a telescope is the greater its light gathering capability, which will allow for greater detail when viewing deep sky objects like galaxies and nebula, keep in mind many of these objects will be visible in both scopes but as mentioned they will be brighter and more detailed in a larger scope.

Another consideration would be your experience in the hobby, a dob will be a great scope but it will certainly require a little more maintenance than a refractor which rarely asks you for more than just dropping in an eyepiece and pointing, dobsonians will need collimating to some degree almost every time you take it down that bumpy road to a dark site and if its a truss tube model there is always the build it and break it down again routine. A dobsonian is less forgiving to light polluted skies and not so good seeing conditions, so to get the most of it you'll want to be under dark skies, a refractor is more forgiving under less than perfect conditions and it will provide more contrasty images.

Hmmm...those two scopes are on opposite ends of the telescope choosing spectrum, im sure if you asked even the most seasoned observer if they had to go away to an island forever and only take one scope with them, a 12 inch dob or a 5 inch refractor they would wrack their brains over it and end up sobbing in the fetal position trying to decide lol.

but you are not faced with this dilemma, you have time on your side, every model of telescope has its strengths and weaknesses, any observer will say that, and over the years you will not ever buy a single scope and keep that one for more than a year without becoming curious about other models if you truly are fascinated by this amazing hobby.

I am in no way considered an extremely knowledgable observer or one of this forums guru advisors, but i have owned about 11 telescopes throughout my many years looking up and have enjoyed every single one immensely, small refractors as a 10 yr old kid to 11 inch cassegrains, large dobsonians, solar scopes and just recently discovering maksutov cassegrains after purchasing one.

The other members here were amazing, providing advice about my mak and what i can look forward to, every scope you'll own will be like you are discovering this hobby anew, if you are a novice and are just getting into astronomy id urge you not to waste too much time searching and searching for advice, loosing sleep over which scope to buy because whatever you choose will amaze you, and as some time passes, you'll develop your style and observing preferences.

When it comes to astronomy there is no perfect do it all scope unless you own hubble, don't let this long novel i just wrote confuse you, if you are indeed getting into this hobby (forgive the lecture if thats not the case) you will own many scopes, its next to impossible for anyone to tell you which telescope you'll enjoy more than the other. The first time you see Saturn's rings, it will make not a scrap of difference whether you're looking through a 120mm refractor or a 20 inch dob,  the emotional impact will be the same. 

Thanks for taking the time to explain things.

Archived