Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best 80mm refractor

Alright guys. I'm after an 80mm refractor second hand and considering the Skywatcher ED80 DS Pro or the Explore Scientific ED80. I know the Explore Scientific is a triplet over the SW doublet. Are there any others upto £450 second hand that may be better? I'll be using it for visual and using a DSLR. Cheers.

1 hour ago, JemC said:

"Pulls up a chair and takes a seat :grin:"

......move over a bit?

When my turn comes, and since reading the book! I have considered getting an ED80 (bigger maybe) for quick visuals and to progress into a little astro work.

I bought a Stellarvue 80mm APO triplet (f/6) several months ago to compliment my CPC 11" and could not be happier.  However, I have not tried the others for comparison purposes.  Getting an 80mm and adding a focal reducer (I use a MallinCam MFR-5 II focal reducer, 0.33x to achieve f/3.6) gives you two terrific FoV.  Finding a good one second hand one might be a challenge but it will be worth the wait.

M42_2017.11.17_21.44.57.png

Dumbbell.Nebula_2017.11.5_20.24.31.png

M.82.M.81_2017.11.30_00.05.55.png

1 hour ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

As I have one, and as others that come along will tell you, you get a lot of bang for your pound, so I'd recommend the ED80, especially when coupled with its matched reducer (recommended for photography)...

Which ED80 are you referring to?

35 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I think my 80mm F/6 APM triplet has the same optics, and I like it a lot. It is faster than the SW ED80 (which is a cracking scope by many accounts), and with a reducer (I use the Tele-Vue TRF2008 0.8x) you reach a very useful F/4.8.

Which are you referring to bud?

I love my Skywatcher ED80 ds. If I could only keep 1 of my 3 the 80 would be it. Put the 0.8x lightwave reducer on the back of it and it's a cracker, what's more it's light enough to do quick setups.

Grabbed this image of the Veil nebula doing a camera test last month, the fates willing I hope to get some proper data this weekend and do it justice

Veil Nebula 1600.jpg

54 minutes ago, Rattler said:

Which ED80 are you referring to?

By SW ED80 I meant the Evostar  (80 mm F/7.5)

54 minutes ago, Rattler said:

Which are you referring to bud?

The Explore Scientific and StellarVue 80mm F/6 both seem to have the same optics as the APM I have (it's not the LZOS version). TS also has a similar one

Archived