NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another Andromeda (my 1st attempt using a Canon 135mm lens).

Ryan_86

Hi all, this is my 1st attempt using a Canon 18-135mm telephoto lens at 135mm. Im new to astrophotgraphy so am pretty pleased with my results. I used a Canon 600D unmoded on a Star Adventurer. This image is stack from 25×2min lights, 15 darks & 20 bias, my flats had uneven lighting so no good. I used DSS & PS, its fair to say I am a complete novice with PS, so am learning gradually. It was taken on the outskirts of the Brecon Beacons.

I've attached a jpeg for you guys to see.

Thanks

Ryan

JPEG-Flattened-result-PS.jpg

Thanks for the positive comments all.

Happy-Kat I didn't think to use my tablet, I will take it on my next outing. Brilliant thanks :)

Tommohawk yes all was taken in RAW & I cropped the master stack before processing in PS. The blackpoint is reading lower around the edges and corners compared to the rest of the background. This is where I am a little stuck, the majority of the background is reading 22-27ish (blackpoint), what is the best method to lighten these darker parts other than cropping further more?

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks again all.

My free trial run out before taking this, so am hoping for an early Christmas pressie of a family member.

Am I able to plug in another free trial using a different email account? Just to keep me going until Christmas I was thinking.

Thanks

Ryan

5 hours ago, happy-kat said:

That's come out well.

I use the android app lightbox as my 7 inch tablet fits well over a camera lens for taking flats with if that helps.

Do you place a white cloth/thsirt over the lens before placing the tablet up against the lens? 

Cheers

Your aiming for the histogram in the middle and you'll see that the lightbox app is very bright even when I've got tablet brightness turned right down so adjust the app brightness slider I guess I turn it down to about 75% dimmed and then fiddle the exposure time to get the histogram peak in the middle.  Trial and error. My tablet has a very evenly lit screen you may find your tablet isn't and you can't get ok flats.

It sounds like you have perfected your method fairplay. I have a samsung A7 tablet so not sure if its up to the job, theres only 1 way to find out. 

Do they provide much of an improvement in your final image? Im thinking this can be the last step in my process when out in the sticks.

Cheers

Ryan

Yes I find flats help and aren't really optional. My tablet is a 7 inch 2012 nexus so nothing flash. I use my phone to control the camera it makes it easier and I do lights then flats then take the filter I use off and do bias. I'm not doing darks currently.

I shall give flats a go next time I have clear skies (& moon down of course). Thanks for all your help happy-kat, very much appreciated!!! :)

Thanks Brown Dwarf, I totally agree with you there. I was testing a new ball head and completely forgot about the cut out notch that allows me to position camera up verticall,y whilst in a landscape position. Rushing the set up probably caused this and something I will most defo learn from. Nonetheless, it gives me  a great deal of motivation & excitement knowing what can be acieved with what I have. :)

Cheers

Ryan

That's a nice improvement. I can't remember where i got the tip for grad x (i think it might have been Astronomers do it in the dark) but if you use your lasso tool to select the galaxy. Select inverse. Open grad x. Select medium low and tick balance background. Then use the magic wand and click on a dark area. Open grad x again. Select fine medium. Again tick balance background. Works really well. 

9 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

That's a nice improvement. I can't remember where i got the tip for grad x (i think it might have been Astronomers do it in the dark) but if you use your lasso tool to select the galaxy. Select inverse. Open grad x. Select medium low and tick balance background. Then use the magic wand and click on a dark area. Open grad x again. Select fine medium. Again tick balance background. Works really well. 

Thanks pal. So just to clarify, once I've selected galaxy, inversed and run gradX. Select magic wand, click on the darker parts in the corner, or on a part of the background that im happy with?

Also do I need to select a new layer before running the 2nd gradX?

Much appreciated

Ryan

Archived