NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

mesu 200

harry page

Hi Gents

I have had some contact with Sitech , but not got me very far  I.e its all my stuffs fault  -- they suggest I build a  serial cable to try that

which I will do as I will try anything - the other night it dumped 3 times and I gave up and went to bed :help:

Sitech tell me if the scope looses connection it will stop after a couple secs , I did ask if this could be changed but it can not for the foreseeable future ( i.e never )

While I was trying to sync the other night the scope went off on a wild slew after syncing I have seen this a couple of times ---this may be down to me not doing something right

but a strange one.

when it all works its brilliant and as you olly the mechanics seem top notch

Oh well wheres my soldering iron :hippy2:

Harry

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel for you. I had an issue with an AP control box on a Parallax mount. While it did not disconnect it would at random run away in an alarming manner.

In the end I got the box changed and all was well. It was a hardware fault. If I were you I would ask for a new controller (at least on loan) to see if that solves the problem as it maybe the hardware.

Regards Andrew

Hi Harry,

Couple of extra thoughts:

1) I am currently trying to debug an issue with meridien tracking on my Sitech Mesu. When the mount tracks past the meridien and you then attempt another slew within the meridien tracking limit (for example automation trys to center an image or execute a flip)- the mount stops. Thought I would mention it - as I remember you have an interesting pier design that allows you to track a long way past the meridien - so if you had this issue then you would hit it a lot.

2) Whilst updating my mount firmware in an attempt to fix the above - i noticed it was reporting the voltage as 11.7 - which i remember reading somewhere is a little low. I am using the Modern Astronomy supply that came with the mount - so if you are also then might be worth trying one with a higher voltage..

Regards

Dom

6 hours ago, BRAMLEYD said:

1) I am currently trying to debug an issue with meridien tracking on my Sitech Mesu. When the mount tracks past the meridien and you then attempt another slew within the meridien tracking limit (for example automation trys to center an image or execute a flip)- the mount stops. Thought I would mention it - as I remember you have an interesting pier design that allows you to track a long way past the meridien - so if you had this issue then you would hit it a lot.

That's an interesting one!

2) Whilst updating my mount firmware in an attempt to fix the above - i noticed it was reporting the voltage as 11.7 - which i remember reading somewhere is a little low. I am using the Modern Astronomy supply that came with the mount - so if you are also then might be worth trying one with a higher voltage..

I run my Mesu on my own PSU (13.8v)

@harry page Have you physically checked all the wiring connections to the terminals on the SiTech board? I'd be tempted to undo each one, remove it, re-insert and tighten it then move on to the next until they have all been checked.

Hi Harry,

Couple of extra thoughts:

Regards

Dom

Hi

I have not slewed in the meridian limit so have not seen this one , but will add it to the list :)

I have checked my voltage and runs above 12v and I power with my own supply , so do not think this is it --- thanks for the suggestion

Harry

7 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

That's an interesting one!

I run my Mesu on my own PSU (13.8v)

@harry page Have you physically checked all the wiring connections to the terminals on the SiTech board? I'd be tempted to undo each one, remove it, re-insert and tighten it then move on to the next until they have all been checked.

Hi

No not done that  , I am going to test with a serial connection first

Cheers

Harry

Hi - the green screw wired connections are just  big plugs which can be eased off the Sitech unit  with a screw driver when you replace it- I checked the screws but frankly I would  not unwire the plug -this is a very unlikely problem as this is just a wired plug and mine was very firm-I still think Harry's problem may be the Sitech board as was mine- Tony.

Also of note I changed all connection cables, USB Hub and bought an expensive noise free power supply - even changed computers to no avail- all pointless if the hardware is wrong.

4 minutes ago, tony210 said:

Hi - the green screw wired connections are just  big plugs which can be eased off the Sitech unit  with a screw driver when you replace it- I checked the screws but frankly I would  not unwire the plug -this is a very unlikely problem as this is just a wired plug and mine was very firm-I still think Harry's problem may be the Sitech board as was mine- Tony.

Also of note I changed all connection cables, USB Hub and bought an expensive noise free power supply - even changed computers to no avail- all pointless if the hardware is wrong.

Hi

Yes I have bought enough kit to run 2 or 3 scopes :hiding:

Harry

Harry,

I had this problem as well, it occurred near the meridian and it was because my "OVERPOLE" and "UNDERPOLE" settings essentially told the mount to stop when it passes the meridian. So it did.  You have to allow the mount to track pass the meridian and that is set by the overpole and underpole settings.  @gnomus (aka Steve Milne) took me through this.  See my thread on this.  These two parameters are king and yet the documentation on them is almost none existent.  If they are set incorrectly the mount will simply stop when it gets outside the limits.

Also, to jump onto the USB bandwagon.   I do not care what anyone says, whatever has currently worked and does not work, however reliable it has been in the past, *nothing* beats connecting the mount *directly" to a PC USB port.  Even with high speed and high quality hubs such as the Startech I had issues.  Think about it downloading an image, mount control, guiding, camera control, dithering, all down to a USB hub and one cable back to the PC.....   There is a lot going on.  A LOT.  To that end I have rewired my rig to a small footprint PC on top of the scope.  I will post later.

I do not like the way USB connects to astro imaging gear with a flimsy USB mini or USB type A connector.  They are far too flimsy and prone to being snagged and pulled.

And finally. I am on the verge of ditching SGP.  The developers are not very responsive and the software is as buggy as hell and I get so many freezes when I cancel something.  They should be focusing on stability, not more features or licensing model changes.  Not to flame them because I do know others find it works fine.  But i am flummoxed as to how as I have reinstalled my imaging PC numerous times and I still get so many freezes and hangs with this software.   All I have on the capture machine is SGP, PHD, Lakeside, ASCOM and Sitech and the associated drivers for those and my Atik and Moravian cameras.  I am considering looking for an alternative.  Maybe Astroart.  I currently have a freeze right in the middle of autofocus for no reason at all.  Worked perfectly for ages.  My thread has been completely ignored on the SGP forum despite me sending the logs.

Hi

Yes I agree the USB thing is not the best answer - to loose etc other than my mesu I thought I had this cracked :hmh:

Anyway I have built a serial cable and for 2 nights it has worked fine ( no lost comms ) -- so if it stays like this I will live with it and presume the usb port on the mesu

id not what it should be :happy7: 

On SGP I have noticed there seems to be less input from the developers lately :hmh: - perhaps I should start how often does sgp dump on you thread !

Thanks for your input

Harry

8 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

Tell me about this serial cable Harry?  What do you mean?

Hi

The sitech has a serial input , of course most computers do not have a serial port , so USB to serial convertor is needed ( yes I know USB :) ) 

After altering a Jumper in the controller the usb is bypassed and accepts the serial input - the advantage it seem is that the length of the cable can be many meters long

The amount of data to control the mesu is very small and the serial cable seems to cope quite well ( so far )

This is how I ran my last scope for many years without problems :icon_biggrin:

Harry

Where did you wire the serial connectors to on the Sitech controller?  And did you use a keyspan adapter at the PC end?

Yep, know all about serial from my electronics days.  It is still very much in use for many reasons, notably stability and reliability.  USB is a complete PITA for anything that *moves*, i.e. astronomy gear!

I know that RS232 has been deprecated in recent years but it has to be said that it is a solid comms. platform for low density data such as we use for mount control. However, it is rather ironic that we need a USB to serial adaptor on our modern PCs to make use of it so that we can bypass the USB connection on the mount! I'm pleased to hear that you have made a step forward with the issue as this does seem to point to where the fault lies.

Universal "Serial" Bus is a misnomer.. I spent many hours in the 70's & 80's running serial cables up 'n down lift shafts from the "computer room" around multi-story buildings that worked perfectly as long as it was well screened :grin:

Regarding SGP, didn't the developers state that they were taking a hiatus? Are they back up and running again now? 

http://forum.mainsequencesoftware.com/t/signing-off/3592

I was going to investigate SGP last year but didn't go down that route because people were having issues back then and when I read their statement I decided against it.

2 minutes ago, StuartJPP said:

Regarding SGP, didn't the developers state that they were taking a hiatus? Are they back up and running again now? 

http://forum.mainsequencesoftware.com/t/signing-off/3592

I was going to investigate SGP last year but didn't go down that route because people were having issues back then and when I read their statement I decided against it.

No that was over a year ago, it is very much still in development.  They are now looking at changing the format to a kind of subscription platform, where you pay for updates, and many of us are using 3.03 (beta) which I believe is going to be the start of this.  It makes sense as the guys want to develop and support it full time, and this is the only way they can finance that.

2 minutes ago, andrew s said:

Old physicists, such have myself, have a saying "when all else fails read the instructions".  I would have thought you reached that point now?

Regards Andrew

Hi

I am a Joiner , quite happy with instructions :) , my wife tell me I need instruction as well :help:

Now my son Is a Physicist and I would never let him near my tools or a instruction book :happy11:

Harry

Archived