Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Winter is coming ! Treasures of a transparent sky .

cotterless45

Dark early and Auriga rising , it's always a surprise to catch the whole Summer Triangle in November . Time to sweep up the Messier's , even M33 showed a fuzzy cloud at x50. Even M1 looked good.

Transparency was superb, but especially lower down , the seeing was hard to cope with. I suppose those indoors had stoked up the heating , hot air making it's presence known.

Tegmine didn't split out into a triple , something I'd been waiting for.A stunning M57, M27 and keeping the Oiii filter in , a lovely sweep around the Eastern Veil, NGC 6995-2. Up to the Blue Snowball, NGC 7662, a lovely sight . Back to the planetaries and NGC 6543 ,"The Cat's Eye "nebula in Draco and the challenging blink of the "Bow Tie Nebula", NGC 40. Don't forget the bright glimmer of the distant and ancient NG.c 2419 in Lynx, the transparency was that good.

Catch the open cluster NGC 752 at the end of Andromeda, this  is a stunning open cluster , another Caroline Herschel discovery. A bright colourful Uranus and a dimmer Neptune followed.

Waiting for Gemini, I went back to some favourite binaries , the close Zeta Aquarii, split at 1.7" and the colourful showcase iota Trianguli at 3.8", a yellow and red here. Draco gives a mass of binaries.

39 Draconis (SAO 30949) is a seven star system , a lovely bright primary with a small delicate +8.1 secondary here.

16-17 Draconis (SAO 30012) shows a lovely delicate triple , catch the close 3.0" companion to the wide 90.0" secondary.

μ Draconis  ( "Arrakis") SAO 30239, a bright pair of identical twins at 2.3".

Psi  Draconis (SAO 8891)a lovely sight at 30".

40-41 Draconis (SAO 8994) near twins here at 18.6".

Σ 2348 at 18h33.9m +52 21' , just  beautiful.

ο Draconis  (SAO 31218), an orange giant with its companion, good contrast here between the bright primary and the +8.3 companion.

Draco is a very rich hunting ground, most of these are in the 200 beautiful doubles list.

Gemini and the massive M35 with the two billion year old cluster NGC 2158. Wasat was challenging ,but gave the delightful companion. The "Eskimo Nebula" NGC 2392 gave it's very best , transparency showing details of the hood and easy central star at x200.

Orion was well up , quick breathtaking to see all the stars of the bow from town,but seeing bothered the Trapezium. Better luck with NGC 1981 and the "37" cluster , NGC 2169 looked magnificent .

Over to Monoceros and that huge "Hagrid's Dragon" , NGC 2301 filling the ep at x100. Both NGC 2264 ("Christmas tree") and NGC 2244 gave good views.

Sleep called at 1.00, waking early there was themagnificent sight of a high Leo in the south , Spica and Virgo to the east   Coma Berenices , UMa overhead and Mars above the roof tops. Going to be a later start next time !

Time to wrap up and enjoy under clear skies ! Nick.IMG_5295.thumb.JPG.bef79beb6407e1c2f55784ddc64660f2.JPG

Lovely report Nick, great target list as always. Got up early for the conjunction and the skies were gorgeous, at least we seem to be getting some decent transparent nights at the moment. Let's hope it continues!

I'm taking this list outside next time out. You were certainly enjoying yourself!

Last night, I had my first visit of M35 & friend This season. Love the orange central star and the subtle fuzzy in the same fov. Also, had a sqizz at M1. Big and bright, hints of imaginary filiments(?). I was using a 16" dob and an ed120 frac. Each bringing something different to the targets.

I love those cold cold dry nights. Even the unshielded telrad stayed few free!

Keep posting!

Paul

Great report and thanks for heads up on Draco’s doubles!  My scope was uber cold due to waiting till 10pm for clouds to pass. It just got better and better all night but my mind ceased to function at 12:30.  A very unusual weather pattern last night but I do wish it would happen again more often!!

clear skies ;) 

Very good and informative report, great references for a crisp cold night observing. Prompted me to check Pocket Sky Atlas, I have open cluster NGC 752 tagged with a post it arrow, not sure if I have pursued this, so will be a nice one for next time. On the same page I notice I have marked NGC 1528 up in Perseus, so another one to visit. Same applies to NGC 2169 in Orion, reminder to visit this Winter, cheers.

Archived