Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What is the current trend for eaa/va

shirva

On 11/1/2017 at 20:35, HiloDon said:

Hi All,

I started into video astronomy about five years ago with an scb2000.  I built my own remote controller from some plans on a forum.  Kept looking at more analogue possibilities, but came across Nytecam’s work with his Lodestar and Paul’s Lodestar Live software.  I got the new Lodestar X2 mono and it change my life in astronomy.  Martin Meredith’s work was also an inspiration.  I bought an X2c as soon as it came out and eventually bought an Ultrastar C and M.  Paul updated his software to Starlight Live and I’ve been a happy camper ever since.  I now am involved with outreach at the VIS on Mauna Kea.  We also do a weekly broadcast on Night Skies Network.  I can get great views of DSO’s in less than a minute and the audience loves it.  Paul’s incredible software has a remote image window that is almost a must for outreach work.  Attached is our card for the weekly show.

7282FC2F-36F2-44F6-8A31-BB46F04A2DF3.thumb.png.6df17ce86f3349cc909102b65e5b6f1a.png

94EDC2F4-E35B-4999-84EE-1D8B2F6F9411.thumb.jpeg.43396c5d2bef9c5a764c28602163b17d.jpeg

Lucky to have such great skies, wish we had half as good in the North UK haha

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/28/2017 at 16:07, shirva said:

Myself personally it's been a roller coaster ride.

Started off with a Philips webcam and used sharpcap back in 2010/2011

Moved on  Samsung scb2000 with a usb grabber and sharpcap for longer exposure images

Phil dyer camera next as it doubled the exposure time of the Samsung, still using sharpcap software

Moved to usb with the qhy5lii colour,, must be the only camera I didn't like ?

Always wanted a watec 902h, so I got one just to compare with cameras I already have,,and I love the sensitivity and easy use of it.

DSLR cameras were my next port of call, buying the canon 400d ,but struggled with lack of live view,, canon 450d was next step and things improved big time and invested in two canon 600d cameras and moved from canon utilities to backyard Eos and astrotoaster software.. bought a canon 450d modded camera to add to the collection.

The DSLR choice was because the weather hasn't been great for Astronomy so by buying a DSLR I could use it for plain photography.

I have recently moved on to the zwo asi178 and sharpcap pro.

Still have all my camera's apart from the canon 400d

What do I like best,,  them all,, they all have quirks that I like ?

Hi Shirva

Just wondered how you find the zwo asi178?

Louise

7 hours ago, Thalestris24 said:

Hi Shirva

Just wondered how you find the zwo asi178?

Louise

Hi Louise, weather has been poor since I got it, I did get a slight test the other night on nearly a full moon but it was very cloudy , was struggling on settings had to keep adjusting them to compensate a saner person would have packed up lol, 

I had it on a sw az gti, ed80 with sw 0.8 focal reducer, it just wouldn't be fair to review it the clouds were that bad,,I was just desperate to get out, I'm using sharpcap pro and the new beta version, 

It's my first zwo camera and ever since I saw the launch of the Sony starvis sensor advert with the cheetah's in pitch dark I knew it was a camera I wanted, ive been told by a member of my VAF it has limitations but he has the rising tech version,, and is waiting on my test results to compare.

1 hour ago, shirva said:

Hi Louise, weather has been poor since I got it, I did get a slight test the other night on nearly a full moon but it was very cloudy , was struggling on settings had to keep adjusting them to compensate a saner person would have packed up lol, 

I had it on a sw az gti, ed80 with sw 0.8 focal reducer, it just wouldn't be fair to review it the clouds were that bad,,I was just desperate to get out, I'm using sharpcap pro and the new beta version, 

It's my first zwo camera and ever since I saw the launch of the Sony starvis sensor advert with the cheetah's in pitch dark I knew it was a camera I wanted, ive been told by a member of my VAF it has limitations but he has the rising tech version,, and is waiting on my test results to compare.

Ok - look forward to a future test result!

Louise

Archived