Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Redcat 51 ASI224mc Back Focus Spacers? Filter?

I'm about to order a Redcat 51 and a ASI224mc and i'm just wondering if I'll need spacers and if so what ones exactly. Im very new to this and this will be my first refractor and astrocam.

Also will I need a filter? I like in bortle 5 skies and I plan to try my hand at emission nebulae and of course planetary with this cam although it will mostly be used as a guide cam as I'll be using my unmodded nikon most the time.

5 hours ago, Lilac_dust said:

I'm about to order a Redcat 51 and a ASI224mc and i'm just wondering if I'll need spacers and if so what ones exactly. Im very new to this and this will be my first refractor and astrocam.

Also will I need a filter? I like in bortle 5 skies and I plan to try my hand at emission nebulae and of course planetary with this cam although it will mostly be used as a guide cam as I'll be using my unmodded nikon most the time.

The 224 isnt really ideal to use for deep space AP so i'd stick to the Nikon for that. As for filters, there's a whole array of them & all depends on your budget. I use the Optolong L-eXtreme dual NB filter for emission Nebulas & it works very well, its also good for dealing with light pollution & nights when the Moon is up. Other than that I'd recommend buying a UV/IR cut filter (not needed when your using a Dual NB (Narrow Band) filter though). It will tame star bloat that can occur with bright stars.

Edited by nephilim

10 minutes ago, nephilim said:

The 224 isnt really ideal to use for deep space AP so i'd stick to the Nikon for that. As for filters, there's a whole array of them & all depends on your budget. I use the Optolong L-eXtreme dual NB filter for emission Nebulas & it works very well, its also good for dealing with light pollution & nights when the Moon is up. Othere than that i'd recommend buying a UV/IR cut fliter (not needed when your using a Dual NB (Narrow Band) filter though). It will tame star bloat that can occur with bright stars.

I'm not sure about the 224 when it comes to spacers. I dont need them with my guide setup to achieve focus (ASI 120MM-s & SW EvoGuide 50ED) but I need them with my main imaging camera the ASI 533MC-Pro where back focus is 55mm with a scope & 44mm with my Samyang 135mm lens, but these figures need adjusting when used with filters where one third the thickness of the filter glass has to be added.

Steve

Edited by nephilim

That camera is not really a suitable mate for the RedCat. The ASI183MC Pro is a good option for that and works well. I can vouch for it as I pair either the OSC version or the mono version to the RedCat with great success. You don't need any additional spacers with the 183MC as they are already supplied. The RedCat will take 2" filters directly inside. I use the IDAS D2 which blocks out LED as well as tungsten, sodium and mercury emissions. It is great for RGB work with the RedCat.

The 294MC is a planetary camera and is not intended for DSOs. It has a very small sensor which works well on planets through a long focus telescope not a wide field scope like the RC.

The 462 is also a planetary camera & would be no good for imaging DSO's. The gear needed for Planetary imaging & DSO's are totally different, the Redcat is a widefield scope & not suited for planetary.
There's no real point in spending money on equipment that will be unsuitable for your goals. If DSO imaging is what your keen on then I'd either stick with the DSLR you have or save for a dedicated cooled camera that's more suitable for DSO imaging. If Planetary is more what your wanting to do then I'd have a look at gear that's set up for that.

One thing you haven't mentioned is your mount. Do you already have one & if so what sort is it? The mount is by far the most important piece of of any AP kit. If you try & do that part cheaply it doesn't matter how much you spend on the rest of your equipment, you wont be able to produce good images.

Lastly, i'll recommend reading this, you'll see this book recommended time & time again on here as it will tell you all you need to know about AP when your first starting out. I'd say the book alone will save you a lot of money as it'll point you in the right direction. https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

Steve