Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saw some stars .....

John

Actually I've just seen 6 stars, Capella, a couple of others in Auriga and 3 in Perseus. No instrument used - just my eyes.

It's been that cloudy and rainy here for the past few days that this megre offering has been the best I can do :rolleyes2::clouds2::clouds1:

Hopefully the cooling temps later in the week will break the cloud up a bit but I have been wondering again why I have all this kit !

Aaaargh, me too! I have something really interesting for review and am itching to give it first light. A little bit of clear is forecast for tomorrow, but I am out until 9pm so will likely miss most of it.............

To keep you going John, here's a little preview of an image I started at Kelling, it contains a few trillion stars I reckon, with over 160 galaxies in the frame. You may recognise the area?

Galaxy Cluster.jpg

1 hour ago, John said:

Actually I've just seen 6 stars, Capella, a couple of others in Auriga and 3 in Perseus. No instrument used - just my eyes.

It's been that cloudy and rainy here for the past few days that this megre offering has been the best I can do :rolleyes2::clouds2::clouds1:

Hopefully the cooling temps later in the week will break the cloud up a bit but I have been wondering again why I have all this kit !

Hey! *I* saw Capella last night! And the three little ones near it. 

Then they were gone.

1 hour ago, John said:

but I have been wondering again why I have all this kit !

Ah but when you get out again it’s all worth while. :) 

I had the first good evening for a while on Sunday. My favourite view of the evening was surprisingly a star. Mirach with its ghost, it looked stunning with the big dob. large & golden orange with sharp defraction spikes, resplendent in a dark background littered with other stars. It’s ghost very visible just off to the side. I can still see it now in my minds eye :) 

I am in the middle of a busy week, but the skies are clear and I am going to play hookie and go out for a night of stargazing because I know the feeling of wanting to get out but having nothing but clouds overhead.  I hope the skies clear up for you guys!

6 hours ago, John said:

John, we seem to get the worst of the uk weather, if its not raining its cloudy, or misty or sometimes we are in the cloud, this is the reason i downgraded my kit list, i now have the 127 skymax and the opticstar AR90 and it all works for me, the weather has been its usual to a point where i bought the AR90 months ago and still not had first light under night sky

Took the Dob and Lunt down to Cornwall for two weeks hols. No clear skies , just one view before dawn of dark sky . Leo, Gemini , lonely Procyon and a high Orion. All gorgeously detailed.

Current forecast Giving a window ,IMG_5261.thumb.PNG.e569f536e4de34e1b02b12498227dd2e.PNGlooking forward to observing , old Nick.

8 hours ago, John said:

Huh - I saw three whole constellations at 6.30 this morning - Orion, Taurus, and Auriga - so despite the sky getting lighter, I set up to observe, well, clouds!

But, as per @Scooot - "Ah but when you get out again it’s all worth while." :) 

Doug.

Archived