Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello - from Lancashire

Davree

Hello All,

Another noob here just getting into all this!!

Just been out for the first time with my new Skywatcher Skyliner 200p dob, and allI can say is wow! icon_eek.gif

I started off with Jupiter and the four moons after getting the finder scope aligned and was really impressed at what I saw. I really wasn't expecting it at all!!

I then moved on to the moon by which time had come out from behind the clouds and the detail was amazing - again another shock.

The pic was taken with my Fuji S5700i 7mp camera just by holding it against the eyepiece - again another shock icon_biggrin.gif .

I do have a question regarding eyepieces, what would you guys recommend? I have the usual 10 and 25 that came with the scope but I am wondering what else would be a worthy addition to my kit?bearing in mind I have a budget of about £100.

Many Thanks and regards

Dave

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum. Sounds like another person hooked to this addictive hobby. I do like your moon image. Taking an image through the eyepiece can be difficult, that's an excellent attempt you've posted. Lots of detail in the craters near the terminator and lots of bright ejecta showing around Tycho, Capernicus and Kepler, and, with the moon being near to full, it can be bright and a bit overpowering - well done.

Steve..

Hi Dave from me too - nice pic. Its great that you got a good view of something as well.

On the EP front ( and I am a noob too - sort of ) its hard to ay say whats good cos it depends on what you want to look at. My first decent EP was a wide angle Panaview. 38mm. It does great wide field views. My next one will be a 13mm Baader Hyperion as a mid point EP.

Hi Dave and welcome to SGL :wave:

Sounds like your off to a flying start there with a good bit of kit.

Regarding eyepieces - it all depends (as usual) on what you want to look at. A low power wide angle EP like the Panaview 32mm or 38mm (or the cheaper Adler equivalent) is useful for viewing extended objects like the Andromeda galaxy or Pleiades cluster, etc. Do you have a 2x barlow as it double the magnification using your existing eyepieces. Of course for viewing the planets you need a higher magnification EP with focal length of 6mm or 7mm - avoid Plossls if you wear glasses as the eye relief is small.

Mike

GAC

Galloway Astronomy Centre

www.gallowayastro.com

Hello all, and once again many thanks for the warm welcome and replies.

With regard EP's, I have read the guides in the tutorials section and think I have decided what i need but I am still unsure.

I think I should get a 2x barlow, and 6mm and 32mm eyepieces. These should complement the 10mm and 25mm that came with the scope and paired with the barlow should give me quite a wide reange of magnification.

What I need to know now is :

Should I go for one of these "kits" with 6 eyepieces and filters, or just buy the barlow and two eyepieces seperately?

Given my budget of around £100 would I see difference in quality by purchasing seperate eyepieces and barlow (i.e around £30 for each). Or would I benefit more from buying a kit? The one I have been looking at is the revelation one from FLO, from what I have read on the forum this kit seems to get quite a few good reviews for the money!!

Thanks again

Dave

Archived