Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge.thumb.jpg.b7f10f594317507d0f40662231b0d9a8.jpg

A bi-colour image of the Cresent nebula with Ha mapped to Red and OIII mapped to Blue and Green.  The OIII is very strong with this object to the point where it can overwhelm the Ha, reducing the redness, so I had to experiment with the relative contributions.

About 8.5 hours total integration time.

The image consists of 30min unguided subs taken through an Esprit 150 on a GM1000HPS. 

Processed in CCDstack, Pixinsight and PS CC.

Alan

59da0bb41fc26_13.Final.thumb.jpg.82212e336b6e1e74b06b1e174e17b282.jpg

LIGHTS: 6 Ha, 11 OIII x 1800s, BIAS: 100, DARKS: 30, LIGHTS:40 all at -20C.

• Like 13

Exceptional Alan, good control of the stars and excellent job on the Oiii envelope, your colour choices really show off the differences in the nebula and their relative distribution. 

22 minutes ago, Tim said:

Exceptional Alan, good control of the stars and excellent job on the Oiii envelope, your colour choices really show off the differences in the nebula and their relative distribution. 

Thanks Tim !.

21 minutes ago, HunterHarling said:

What camera?

It was taken with my Starlight Xpress Trius 814.

Alan

Thank you for sharing Alan.  So beautiful. I've been struggling to get my stars right - you've really nailed that - do you use a Lum filter?  How do you get the stars so nice?  

12 hours ago, EdGregory said:

Thank you for sharing Alan.  So beautiful. I've been struggling to get my stars right - you've really nailed that - do you use a Lum filter?  How do you get the stars so nice?  

Thanks for the comment. :hello:

In answer to your question: the image is bicolour with Ha mapped to RED and OIII mapped to Green and Blue. No Lum data was used. Since my narrowband filters have only a very small bandpass (3nm), they let through only a limited amount of light compared to wider bandwidth filters, this helps control the apparent star size. I've also found that the filters tend to highlight contrast which is particular good for some targets.

Alan

4 hours ago, HunterHarling said:

Amazing image, I love the blue outer halo around the nebula.

Thanks - yes, I also like this - it is a bit like the Crescent has been wrapped in blue bubble wrap !

Alan

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By coatesg
      I grabbed 3h40m of the Sadr region stretching from the crescent up to NGC6914 (not visible as it's a reflection neb!), in HA light - may add to this in HA, but also would be nice to bring LRGB into it at a later date. 
      QHY163M, Canon 200mm 2.8L II (working at f3.85), Losmandy GM8 - taken 17th Sept 2018, West Oxfordshire. All in 5min subs, guided with a ASI120MM on a 50mm guider. Baader 7nm filter. Processed in PI.
      Thanks for looking.

(ergh - jpg compression artifacts aren't great in this 
    • By alan4908
      A bi-colour image of the Cresent nebula with Ha mapped to Red and OIII mapped to Blue and Green.  The OIII is very strong with this object to the point where it can overwhelm the Ha, reducing the redness, so I had to experiment with the relative contributions.
      I was quite impressed by the amount of detail revealed by the Esprit 150, in particular, I like the "bubble wrap" appearance made by the OIII contribution. About 8.5 hours total integration time.
    • By alan4908
      I'd thought I would attempt to improve my processing ability of NB images with another go at the Cresent, this time with my Esprit 150. This is a bi-colour image with Ha mapped to RED and OIII mapped to Green and Blue and represents about 8.5 hours integration time. 
      I liked the starfield so much that I decided not to replace it with RGB stars, which I normally do on NB images. 
      Comments and criticisms welcome.
      Alan

• By coatesg
      Captured the data for this image on Saturday evening with an ~85% moon floating around, but pleased with the level of data I managed to get here. 
      Taken using ST2000XM, Astrodon 5nm HA filter, through FLT110 at f5.6. This was first run after summer with a new adaptor between the drawtube of the FLT and the FLAT4 reducer - works brilliantly as it eliminates play found in the 2" nose/adaptor as before, and also reduces the vignetting as well. Exposures were 11 x 1200sec with APT; off-axis guiding with an ASI120MM and PHD2; reduction/processing in PI with final levels tweak in PS. 
      So much background stuff here, I didn't bother with any DBE as couldn't really place the markers! Think the flats have worked nicely here though (tends to be less of an issue with backgrounds through HA anyhow). 
      Thanks for looking!

• By steppenwolf
      The Crescent Nebula NGC 6888
      The Crescent Nebula rides on the Swan’s neck in Cygnus in a dense swathe of Milky Way stars - an ideal target for my first bi-colour image with my new Astrodon 3nm Ha and OIII filters and Esprit 150 telescope.
      The nebula was discovered by William Herschel on 15th September, 1792 and he described it as ‘A double star of the 8th magnitude with a faint south preceding milky ray joining to it.8’ long by 1.5’ broad’. This double star is not the prominent star with an apparent companion close to the heart of the nebula, rather, it is ADS13515 at the 2 o’clock position on the nebula’s bright periphery. The bright star off-centre of the nebula is particularly significant as this is the star that is powering the emissions from the surrounding gas cloud. This magnitude +7.5 star, HD192163, is of the Wolf-Rayet type and is also designated WR-136.
      Charles Wolf and Georges Rayet first described wolf-Rayet stars in 1867 following detection of their broad emission lines. The Wolf-Rayet stage applies to stars with an original mass in excess of 30 times our own Sun’s mass. This stage comes late in the star's evolution when a rapidly expanding shell of hot gas is powered outwards by the stellar wind only to collide with the much slower-moving gas clouds that were ejected thousands of years previously when the star entered its Red Giant phase. These forceful collisions produce a shock wave that generates an enormous amount of energy including wavelengths within the light spectrum, allowing us to observe them. This complex process displays as an arc of bright nebulosity that we identify as the Crescent Nebula. Long exposure images fill in this arc producing a crab-shell shaped nebulous region rich in Hydrogen Alpha and doubly ionised Oxygen emissions. WR-136 is fated to go supernova at some time in the future – watch this space!
      Image Stats
      Mount: Mesu 200
      Telescope: Sky-Watcher Esprit 150 ED Pro
      CCD Camera: QSI 683 WSG-8
      Sampling: 1.04”/pixel
      Guiding: OAG/LodeStar
      Filters: Astrodon 3nm Ha and 3nm OIII
      Exposure: 30 x 1800 sec Ha, 15 x 1800 sec OIII
      Date: 11/06/17 + 19/06/17 – much of which was under Lunar illumination
      Calibration: Bias, Darks & Flats
      Object Stats
      RA: 20° 12’ 04.6”
      Dec: 38° 30’ 46.0”
      Magnitude: +10.0
      Distance: 4700 light years
      The Crescent Nebula – NGC 6888

Comparison of Ha and OIII data
      We imagers (well me anyway!) tend to think that Ha is the all-powerful emission line in nebulous objects but it is interesting to compare the Ha and OIII data for this structure as there is an enormous amount of OIII emission present in The Crescent Nebula.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.