SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC688 / WR136 - Spock's Brain

Herbert West

Hey, I found Spock's lost brain!

Site:

Backyard, rural Poland, Bortle 4.

Aquisition:

Three warm June nights. Seeing was quite terrible during two of those, when I was after OIII data.

Ha- 33 x 300s

OIII- 74 x 300s

Gear:

Telescope: SkyWatcher Maksutov-Newtonian MN190, 190/1000 mm

Camera: ASI1600MMP,

Filters: Baader Ha 7nm, Antlia OIII 3nm,

Mount: SkyWatcher EQ6PRO

Guider: SvBony 240mm, ASI120MM mini,

Other gubbins: ZWO EFW, ZWO EAF, ASIAir V1

Processing

This one was a challenge for two reasons:

- showing Ha details while giving the oxygen bubble its proper place;

- trying not to flatten the brightest parts of the nebula too much and preserve details there;

Processed Ha and Oiii in Pixinsight but I've moved the stretched images to Photoshop. I just couldn't get acceptable colors in pixelmath. Also, any attempt at creating luminance seemed to make the picture worse.

Thus, I've tried something new. I've coaxed as much detail as I dared in Ha and Oiii, stretched them with the GeneralizedHyperbolicStretch script and moved on to PS. There, I used the color gradient tool to assign them colors and combined them. Some tweaking with selective colors and levels and here it is.

Brian.thumb.png.abc91497f13a8b4c7beaeb89dac62280.png

I'll never be happy with it, though. There's no single best way to show this messy and convoluted nebula :-)

• Like 20

Thanks @Shibby. Honestly, I'm not completely happy- neither with color nor with details. Seeing was, at best, reasonable (Ha). At worst it was rubbish (OIII). There's a lot of unresolved detail in the OIII spectrum.

I just wanted to see how much more OIII and Ha I'm going to need and cobbled this up. It turned out to be difficult indeed, so I had to find a new (for me) way to put it all together. It was great fun. I ended up with this and people seem to like it way more than I do 🙂