NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Revitalised with a bit of bin and Dob action

Chris

Out tonight for the first time in ages, maybe 6 weeks or more since my last observing session. I was starting to lose my mojo! I initially ventured out with the 10x50 binos looking for Uranus low down to the East which I think I saw as a slightly green tinged obese star, although I couldn't be sure? Skysafari was showing me so many more stars than I could actually see so it was hard to navigate. I then scanned around to the setting Moon in the South where I lingered for a good while enjoying it's crisp terminator before scanning up through the summer triangle clocking the Coat hanger Asterism and two components of the Double double.

Inspired I grabbed the Dob and got a nice split of all four components of the Double double near Vega with the 10mm SLV at 120x, and the 8mm BST at 150x. The later showing a slightly wider split but with a touch more scatter. I then popped down to the Ring nebula aka M57, and this was a lovely sight with slightly averted vision, a clear ghostly oval ring just hanging there with both the 10mm SLV and the 8mm BST.

I finished off with some general scanning around with my latest eyepiece addition, the Celestron 40mm Omni plossl which gives just 30x. Lovely pinpoint stars far out to the edge at f/8 and very little kidney beaning compared to my last 32mm Plossl, so I very much enjoyed using this eyepiece for only the second time so far. 

Now feeling a bit more astro-revitalised so glad I pulled my finger out :)  

Glad you got back out and had a good session, Chris. Enjoyed reading your report :) I couldn’t resist getting out either when the clouds cleared. Blue Snowball and Bow Tie nebula were the highlights. 

Quick note on SkySafari. You can reduce the number of stars displayed. Tap on the top left side of the bar at the top and you can reduce the star mag limit. You’ll see stars disappear as you do it. The stars only disappear in the app thank goodness ;) 

9B382B16-A4A0-4FDE-AA6F-D004A27C000F.thumb.png.a90d6f1d26e3507655e8843eb52715c0.png

I managed another short session at 11pm after I was surprised to find a nice clear sky when I went to let my dog out. Was testing out my Opticstar AR90S on my Vixen Porta 1 mount with a UHC filter to observer the ring & Dumbbell nebulas, plus also nabbing M56 too. Short but sweet before bed started calling! :) 

6 hours ago, RobertI said:

Well done Chris, glad you got out. I managed to get some observing done with the Bins whilst on hols in Cornwall last week, bit haven't got out with the scope for a while. Hope to do so soon though.

Cheers Rob :)  Were you in a dark part of Cornwall? 

1 hour ago, Lockie said:

Cheers Rob :)  Were you in a dark part of Cornwall? 

Yes Chris it was a few miles in from Bude and was very dark. I popped in to Eddington Lodge which was next door to have a look at their facilities - they have some lovely spacious lodges with two 20 inch dobsonians in rolloff observatories and a 130 APO in a dome for the use of guests. Lovely proprietors too. Sadly we were too late booking to stay there so we stayed at the nearby South Forda Park lodges, which was superb, but had to make do with bins (think I posted a brief observing report). But would love to stay at Eddington Lodge in the future. :smile:

6 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Yes Chris it was a few miles in from Bude and was very dark. I popped in to Eddington Lodge which was next door to have a look at their facilities - they have some lovely spacious lodges with two 20 inch dobsonians in rolloff observatories and a 130 APO in a dome for the use of guests. Lovely proprietors too. Sadly we were too late booking to stay there so we stayed at the nearby South Forda Park lodges, which was superb, but had to make do with bins (think I posted a brief observing report). But would love to stay at Eddington Lodge in the future. :smile:

Sounds great. I'd never heard of Eddington Lodge, I'll have to look them up for possible future visits :) 

Hi Chris, good to hear you're enthusing about the hobby again:-).

Wall to wall cloud here just lately, the clear nights we do have (and there have been a few crackers) seem to come when I have other commitments that mean I can't take advantage of them?..

But it's good to read about other SGLers sessions, they whet the appetite!?.

Dave

Archived