Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Meade Series 5000 Triplet APO - A review Part 1

centroid

Thanks to Steve at FLO, as of today, I now have a shiny new Meade Series 5000 Triplet APO, and will report my assessment of it, as I go along.

The scope is a three element (triplet) with a focal length of 480mm, and at f/6, is quite 'fast'.

Opening the packaging, revealed a very nice aluminium 'flight case', a 'nice touch'.

Inside, the scope was very securely enclosed in a custom cut foam rubber surround, that would clearly offer a great deal of protection during any rough handling of the case, e.g. airport baggage handlers. :x

The overall finish of the scope was far better than I was expecting really, given the price, and the fact it had triplet optics. The quality is very much superior to my Skywatcher ED80, but perhaps not quite as good as the William Optics Megrez 88.

Unlike the Megrez, the Meade only has a single speed Crayford style focuser. However, I really don't see this as an issue, as I've never found focusing the ED80 to be anything other than easy.

While similar to the ED80's focuser, the Meade does seem to be of a higher quality, and is both smooth and positive in its action, with no backlash or lateral movement. Like the Megrez, while pointing at the zenith, it was able to take the weight of my SXVF-H9C camera, without the drawtube 'creeping out', with the friction adjustment set, where the foucuser still moved smoothly, and easily when adjusted.

Again, I would say that Megrez focuser had the 'edge', but there's not a lot in it, and I see the Meade foucuser being more than adequate for the job in hand.

Like the Megrez, the Meade dew shield retracts, sliding smoothly back over the OTA, thus reducing the overall length of the scope to just 380mm (ED80 fixed at 580mm).

A very pleasing point, is that the 'L' bracket for tripod mounting, is held on with single 'hex-head' bolt, which means that the bracket can be removed from the OTA, when mounting the scope in 'guide rings', as I intend to do. Perhaps a negative point with the Megrez, where it can't be removed.

On the Meade, the 'L' bracket is attached to a rotating ring, which enable the scope to be rotated through 360 degrees. There is a thumbscrew, which allows the ring to be locked in psoition.

Another real plus point, where the Meade scores over both the ED80 and the Megrez, is that the drawtube extends by some 120mm, compared to 80mm on the Megrez and 75mm on the ED80.

This should enable focus to be achieved without the need of an extension tube. For those who perhaps don't follow this, many refractors are primarily designed for visual observing, where a star diagonal would be used for comfortable viewing. For imaging, the diagonal is not generally used, and as a result, with the diagonal not there, the length of the focuser is effectively reduced, and there isn't then enough back-travel available to compensate.

Oh yes, another bonus point, is that the Meade comes supplied with the Meade Series 5000 2" diagonal. This is one that I know, as my 12" LX200R also came with one, and I've been quite impressed with it.

Of course the 'acid test' will come when I get the chance to take it out, and point it at the night sky.

From what I've read, and images that I've seen, I don't expect to be disappointed, but I will reserve judgement until I've seen for myself. Being a 'triplet', I certainly don't expect to see any chromatic aberation problems, at least I hope I don't!!. :nono:

When 'first light' will take place, is of course totally dependent on the weather, but as soon as I have some results to hand, I 'post' Part 2 of this review.

Attched are some photos, showing the Meade its accompanying flight case, and the length of the Meade (dew shield extended and retracted) compared to the ED80.

Dave

post-13389-133877346496_thumb.jpg

post-13389-133877346501_thumb.jpg

post-13389-133877346505_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to that 1st light report Dave - hope you get some clear sky sometime soon :(

I wonder how the cooldown time will compare to the ED80 ? - my recollection is that my ED80's were useable almost straight out of the house - but the Meade is a triplet so there's extra glass there to cool ....

Looks a superb scope though :D

Thanks for the report so far ....

John

I wonder how the cooldown time will compare to the ED80 ? - my recollection is that my ED80's were useable almost straight out of the house - but the Meade is a triplet so there's extra glass there to cool ....

Shouldn't be an issue for me John, as the scope will live in the obsy.

Dave

Archived