Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Waiting for Venus

Relpet

A call of nature brought me from my bed shortly before 5 in the morning.  Naturally, at times like this, one takes a peek outside.  Oh, glory be! Shining from an almost black sky the brilliant figure of Orion once more strides across the sky after his summer holidays, faithful dog star Sirius at his feet.

So, over the pyjamas it's on with the gardening trousers, the woollen pullover still perfumed with the smoke from a  recent bonfire, the Green Flash tennis shoes, the ancient, scarred but still warming anorak, the astro gloves and the ski hat.  Those who know me would remark on this level of sartorial elegance, but when a special visitor arrives you have to put yourself out.

Across the yard to the barn where I fumble with the key by red torchlight before wheeling out the 8" Dob on it's pneumatic-tyred trolley.  (The yard is roughly laid.).

A bull from a neighbouring farm sought  refuge in the yard the other day and I have to tread warily, trying to remember - as I can't see them - where he left his souvenirs during what was a worrying time for him.

Orion's nebula needs a decent EP so slip in the Televue 14mm with a nebula filter and the ES Barlow to see how deep I can get into the Trapezium.

It's a clear night and rarely have I seen M42 this clearly, but when did I last collimate?  Some months ago at the start of what turned out to be a very drab observing summer.  The seeing is good so my focussing must be a touch out but it's still a wonderful sight.

Without the preparation time to see what else might be out there I wander around the Milky Way, stopping here and there before spotting a bright light to the east glinting between the branches of a cedar 50 metres away.  It's Venus and I have been missing her.

The elevation is too low for a clean shot so I shall have to wait. 

The dustcart can be heard whining up the hill and round the corner.  I duck into the unlit barn to avoid the glare of its  headlamps while they empty the wheely bin.  My rubbish disappears into the night.

Five minutes, ten minutes; slowly Venus rises but still hopping from branch to branch of the neighbour's cedar.  Fifteen minutes and we're almost there; but now the sun is rising.  Twenty minutes and at last she's in the clear and I can take a look.  But the cold has been eating into my bones.  I'd swapped to a 1.25" 6mm EP but by now it's misted over.  Out comes the 7.5mm but, as ever with Venus, the brilliance is blinding but the image is soft.

After a moment or two it's time to turn my back on these early morning glories and put everything back in the barn.  By the time I have finished only Sirius is still visible where Orion was so vivid 90 minutes  before.  The sun is rising into a beautiful day - but I'm going back to bed.

Is this normal behaviour or am I a suitable case for treatment?

Venus causes a big grin on my face, which many people can't understand: "It never changes. It's always cloudy and looks the same." HA! The smile remains. The phases change. The clouds change if you know what to look for.

The only thing that truly remains the same is my strange, immutable grin. Venus is always my favorite.

Dave

I wish that I had woken up earlier now!

Cracking writeup. Especially the part about the worried bull (resisted using the comical, but topical emoji at this point).

There doesn't seem too much wrong with the atire. V astro!

Paul

Cracking report on a very special moment, seeing Orion's return heralds the start of another hopefully great observing season.

Re Venus, it wasn't 'til earlier in the year when she put on a glorious evening show that I got hooked on her charms.

It's not normal but perfectly acceptable amongst us likeminded folk!  I peered out the bathroom window at 1:52 and was equally impressed :) Excellent read, and very entertaining.  Glad you saw Orion, as I thought it looked exceptional last night. 

20 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Venus causes a big grin on my face, which many people can't understand: "It never changes. It's always cloudy and looks the same." HA! The smile remains. The phases change. The clouds change if you know what to look for.

The only thing that truly remains the same is my strange, immutable grin. Venus is always my favorite.

Dave

Good one!  It's an amazing sight every time and the phases are fascinating.  Wish I could have held out for dawn but would be knackered about now!  

Archived