M45 The Pleiades - Modded 350D

Psychobilly

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Peeps...

M45 was suppose to be my last but one target lastnight but it ended up being my last. I came in from the obs about 4 am to check the nights data so far and produce the roughs just to see what I had to work with... When I went back out the Laptop had rebooted ... (windows update finally got fed up of naggign for the reboot and i wasnt there to stop it) so when i went back out about 4:20 no images had been captured... ok no probs get the guidign and capture software running and off to go...

Went out about 4:45 to find the camera had a thrown a wobbly witht he CF card ... (a conterfeit Sandisk Extreme III from EBAY ... :D so again no more data...

Put a decent card in and managed to capture another 10 subs before dawn beat me to it...

SO M31 went begging last night.

Ah well can't complain really 1 hour+ data on 5 targets and the best night in the OBS since it was built :(

Just a mis-centered Veil Image left to process...

Billy...

Thanks Steve...

You M45 of the other week was "inspirational" so I just had to give it a go with the 4x2 setup :D

I think its mine as well... disappointed by the IC1396 image that needs more work I have lost the color range that I had in the first light image... saying that battling against sky backgrounds between 30 and 70% on the subs I can't complain too much really... got quite a target list for the next few weeks and certainly cheered me up no end as I now know that things are starting to come - focusing which was my real achillies heal seems to have been largely sorted by the new masks.

Billy...

Thanks Again for the commenst...

It's just nice to see everything starting to come together.

Billy...

Hi

And once that has happened there is no turning back, believe me, its onwards and upwards for you now, keep up the good work

Best wishes

Gordon

Thanks Gordon,

Makes the time and effort spent on designing and building the Pier/Wedge and Observatory all seem worth it as a quick test the weekend showed I can get 600s subs.

Biggest advances in the last week have been...

The Modded 350D - The Ha Hoover :D

The New Focusing Mask - I am actually able to get Focus Now :(

The Battery Eliminator for the 350D - No need to touch the camera scope every hour or so to change batteries...

All I have got to do now is remeber to move the dome every hour or so...as dozing cost me a load of subs the weekend - well dozing and not getting up from the chair to move the dome just guestimating how far i needed to move it ratehr than lookign from behind the scopes.

Can't wait for thosee winter targets now .. think I might get my first genuine "GG" and "Running Man" this time round rather than having to drag it out with extreme post processing.

I would also like to thank Steve (steppenwolf) and NicKH and others too numerous to mention for the advice and encouragement over the last few months as well as the inspiration provided by teh quality of the images posted.

Glad I eventually found my way to SGL:)

Billy...

Nice shot Billy, heck of a f.o.v. with the DSLR on the little scope plus flattener!

Mark

Thanks Mark,

Its just over 4x2 degrees which is quite a nice size...The William Optics FF III transformed the Skywatcher Equinoxe-66 Pro giving much more even illumination and pretty good stars edge to edge on the APS-C sized sensors. I use a HutecH IDAS P2 Filter fitted to the 2" noespiece of the FF III which does a pretty amazing job on the LP without introducing too much inthe way of colour cast on the images.

Billy...

Thanks everyone for there Comments on the Nebula Frenzy Series (I liked that term a lot ) and Barkis on your kind words about my contributions to the forum - this is certainly somewhere were people freely exchange advice and don't keep too many secrets...The active admins and mods are also nice to see.

Billy, this is a super image.

I hope you don't mind me saying this, but in the processing you may have clipped the black point - which effectively has hidden some nebulosity.

Now, I'm no expert on processing, so I could be wrong - but I opened your image in Photoshop and it does look like the black point is clipped.

I don't know what software you're using for processing?

Hope I've not put my foot in it now!!!! Because it really is a cracking image & I reckon there's more to pull out of it.

Barry.

Archived