Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Choosing filter/ which are best for each neb

Eren

Found a useful page, not sure if it's been posted before. It could help with choosing a filter for nebulae as it compares each (UHC, OIII, DEEP SKY, H-BETA) and also has detailed notes on performance of each on lots of nebulae and which is best for each, hope it could come in handy:smiley:

No worries, Eren - the mods (who I'll notify) can move this to the Discussion - Eyepieces forum.

In the meanwhile, I'll bet the below is the listing you found? By David Knisely of the Prairie Astronomy Club. I turned it into a Pdf. so people can handle it more easily:

Filter Performance Comparisons For Some Common Nebulae - by Dave Knisely.pdf

If this isn't - do check it out. It's excellent!

Enjoy!

Dave

10 minutes ago, ronin said:

Does anyone know if there is a reason Dave Knisley didn't include Ha filters in his comparison of performance?

Ha is a photographic narrowband filter - quite unusable for visual :wink2:

59 minutes ago, ronin said:

Does anyone know if there is a reason Dave Knisley didn't include Ha filters in his comparison of performance?

Because you can't see it.  With a wavelength of 656nm it is outside the range of scotopic (night/rod cell) vision. 

Edit: I made a graph to demonstrate.

59a2890b8fb96_ScotpoicEyeResponse.png.5e092b27f13bb34c52e2df93bf757ad3.png

Interesting that the H-Beta line response is around 15% lower than the O-III lines. With the 3-4% loss using a n H-Beta filter to add to that perhaps it's no wonder that the Horsehead Nebula is hard to observe ?

I have 3 filters all made by Lumicon. The OIII is the one I use most, as it's for Orion. 

My other 2 are an Ultra High Contrast & a Deep Sky. The former is an OIII lite, allowing more bandwidth but has more general use. OIII is the best for Orion without doubt.

Archived