SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NASA's Unexplained Files - Discovery channel tonighr.

8 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

any edged weapon it needs to be used with skill and care.

That is well said!

I can't argue that the method can't be used, when used properly. But it was used so many times to fight the ideas eventually proven to be correct, that for me it's slightly rusty razor. Cuts, but can cause blood poisoning. 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cars will drive themselves by them anyway. I really wait for governments to have even more control how, where and when we go ?. I don't think it will take them long to realise some "marvellous" traffic management ideas on our sorry backsides ? 

It's been a very interesting debate. Perhaps I'll just go to the lounge and heads up the next installment of Coranation Street rather than The Discovery channel. At least the character in Coranation Street tried to setup a telescope in a dusty loft a year or two back. Lol.

Seriously, do we know everything? Is it possible for other large objects to be far out there but still captured by Sol's gravity. As yet undiscovered by out contemporary science? I await the next episode of East Enders to find out more. Lol

10 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

Having ditched my TV set

I did that for a few years once, it is very amusing when a 'man from the ministry' knocks on the door and says " do you know that it is an offense to poses a TV without a license"

Yes

"Do you know that we have a detector van in the area"

Do you really?

" our records show that you do not have a license ,,, " 

No I do not,,,  and so it went on he getting ever more insistent in trying to make me aware of the magnitude of the situation/crime*,

till, my fault, I must have shown a trace of amusement by then, he finally asked me if I possesed a TV

No!

Which caused him to see the funny side of me clutching my ribs and we both had a right good laugh bless him :) We parted the best of chums.

I guess these days you dont have such simple pleasures on the door step, just ever more threatening paperwork ?

* and I believe it is still a crime for which you get a crim.rec.

On 13/08/2017 at 15:28, Grumpy Martian said:

There are conspiracies that are true. I just hope that dismissing this is correct for all our sakes. 

There are, but re-visiting the science is not best done by a TV channel trotting out the entirely formulaic, 'Scientists have systematically dismissed the possibility of a dark solar companion until now, when the scientific genius of the Discovery Channel brings you the hidden truth.'

Ooh, did I finish that sentence? I might have dozed off while typing it. These tellybabblers only have one scenario. It's lamentable. Switch them off.

Olly

On 13/08/2017 at 15:25, Stub Mandrel said:

I'm afraid it is true.

Discovery Channel has definitely gone to the dogs...

It is very true. Used to love all their channels including discovery home and leisure. I worked nights for a while and would come home and watch stuff recorded from the main Discovery channel and then New Yankee Workshop before bed. Pure gold. Industrial revelations was also a favourite with Daddy Weasley.

There were some cracking fishing show too as well as all the science content on the main channel  

But they changed it to discovery realtime which is full of nonsense mainly. 

Do I detect a sense that most feel what was once a great medium to educate has now began to dumb down the population?

Answer: Damn right!

"........ when the scientific genius of the Discovery Channel brings you the hidden truth.' "?? It really said that!? Lordy!

Has public education deteriorated to such a degree that people actually swallow that sort of crud and tune-in? That's it! If I was still raising a kid - it would be "Home-School" for he or she.

That ruined my <cloudy anywho> night.

Dave

I've never been persuaded that the TV was a great medium for education. It is under far too much pressure to turn out volumes of 'stuff.'  Twenty-five years ago I taught in a fairly radical community school which was to be the subject of a TV documentary. An individual glorying under the title of 'Researcher' made her first appearance at the place after all the kids had gone home on the day before the film crew were to arrive. The Head told her everything he wanted to and that defined the narrative which was shot the following day. The film came out full of confident assertions every one of which came directly from what the Head fed the 'Researcher' the previous evening. Now I liked the Head and I liked what he fed the 'Researcher' but how can this be journalism?

Olly

Up until a few months ago we did have the ummm  privilege ? of two easily accessible (freeview) alternative "Current Affairs" "News" views of the world Aljazera and RT (< they seem not to want to be known as Russia Today, any longer)

Different, is the gentlest descriptor I can think of at the mo. Aljazera has mysteriously vanished which is a shame, only because it leaves us with the Lord Haw-hawing out of RT :(

There was a time when Russia Today was interesting and informative about life & times in Russia, now it has been taken over by the Vandals and is just a constant stream of invective and bad language which reminds me of shortwave radio in days of yore '56 Hungary etc, when similar wail-ings issued forth from all their satellite capital's radio stations.

In the manner of twitter :-   , so sad!

Moral : be careful what we wish for.

8 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

Up until a few months ago we did have the ummm  privilege ? of two easily accessible (freeview) alternative "Current Affairs" "News" views of the world Aljazera and RT (< they seem not to want to be known as Russia Today, any longer)

Different, is the gentlest descriptor I can think of at the mo. Aljazera has mysteriously vanished which is a shame, only because it leaves us with the Lord Haw-hawing out of RT :(

There was a time when Russia Today was interesting and informative about life & times in Russia, now it has been taken over by the Vandals and is just a constant stream of invective and bad language which reminds me of the shortwave radio in days of yore '56 Hungary etc, when similar wail-ings issued forth from all their satellite capital's radio stations.

In the manner of twitter :-   , so sad!

Moral : be careful what we wish for.

I used to watch BBC News 24 and then RT to get a different perspective on the news but as you say that has been somewhat spoiled.

Perhaps they don't realise the the " old " RT was better propaganda.

Dave

Archived