Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NASA's Unexplained Files - Discovery channel tonighr.

I have always been interested in the idea that our Sol may have. Companian .

There is a programme on Discovery channel tonight at 10.00 p.m.

NASA's Unexplained Files.

(The mystery surrounding the Sun's supposed "dark twin")

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw that idiotic book "Nemesis" back in the early 80's touting the zero-evidence theory of a "Dark Star" beyond Pluto that was to blame for all manner of trouble on Earth.

Uh huh.....

Now 30+ years later the Discovery Channel has dredged this up?

I've never thrown a TV-set out a window before.....

Dave

48 minutes ago, Zakalwe said:

I greatly miss the old Discovery channel from when it used to have factual programs instead of the conspiracy theory nonsense that it now dishes out.... :hmh:

There are conspiracies that are true. I just hope that dismissing this is correct for all our sakes. 

20 minutes ago, DaveS said:

my sanity Discovery

onto Freeview.

:thumbsup: sounds like that may be good for what remains of my sanity as well :happy6:

But I have to chuckle a bit when I see the outrage over conspiracies: dubious ideas in the sight of the main stream thinkers has been a repeating theme of the advancement of science. (But I dont mean we should watch/read/believe all the waccy ideas :D ) Wot, the fathers of a city state in Italy covering up the idea that the Sun does not go round the Earth, naw nonsense :)

Think of Velikovsky and his chaotic Solar System, (Worlds in Collision) never ! it works like clockwork didnt the Victorians tell us this ( not fair to blame it on Newton, he knew that his laws didnt quite tally in all Mercurial respects :) ) now we have proposals that Jupiter & Saturn in particular didnt form where they are today but got there by a load of chaos and Mandlebrot and maybe a few butterflies included, so the search is on for a 'missing' giant that got ejected in the trauma.

Maybe the same as Planet X that is being looked for in respect of the possible resonance amongst some Kuiper? objects.

I could go on and bore everybody even more  :hiding:

46 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

But I have to chuckle a bit when I see the outrage over conspiracies:

It's always good to keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out...

46 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

Wot, the fathers of a city state in Italy covering up the idea that the Sun does not go round the Earth, naw nonsense :)

How cute- you're playing the Galileo Gambit. " It is not enough to wear the mantle of Galileo: that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment. You must also be right. "

It's a real shame that Discovery has, over the years, decided to play to the hard of thinking by broadcasting nonsense by charlatans like Tsoukalos. It used to be a good channel...the highlight of my week used to be the Saturday broadcast of the excellent mini-series "From the Earth to the Moon". Now they are far more likely to broadcast guff from the likes of Sibrel and his idiotic ilk.

When I say that some conspiricies are true, I do believe it. But unfortunately you are bracketed as also believing that Elvis still lives on the dark side of the moon in a London bus with a green house for an outside toilet

2 minutes ago, Zakalwe said:

It's always good to keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out...

How cute- you're playing the Galileo Gambit

How cute- the old open mind adage.

No not his gambit, just the Galileo Opening,  I finessed it with the Velikovsky variation and some other subtle&not-so-subtle moves.

I think Occam's Razor is more useful.

Nothing that's happened to the solar system in the last 4.5 billion years requires a huge hidden planet/dark star to explain it, so why invoke one? And why should such a thing suddenly become imminently dangerous in the tiny slice of time that is human existence?

10 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I think Occam's Razor

Nothing that's happened to the solar system in the last 4.5 billion years requires a huge hidden planet

I approve Occam

You think not ? :-  (this is just one from S&T) was also done recently on S@N, ofcourse because of the Pluto fiasco they are now able to playfully call it  Nine not X ! :) :-

Planet-Nine-orbit-plots.jpg

1 hour ago, SilverAstro said:

I approve Occam

You think not ? :-  (this is just one from S&T) was also done recently on S@N, ofcourse because of the Pluto fiasco they are now able to playfully call it  Nine not X ! :) :-

Planet-Nine-orbit-plots.jpg

The rather large difference between that and Velikovsky's drivel is that the so-called "Planet 9" is based on *some* evidence, albeit evidence that is disputed and not fully accepted. Velikovsky's "work" is based on a personal interpretation of the Bible. His ideas are widely regarded as garbage. As I said earlier, being dis-proven by the establishment is not evidence that a claim is correct.

48 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

(I hope :icon_biggrin:)

Me too :icon_cry:

but just to keep the conversation going I ref. hon, member to a post he made earlier

> a huge hidden planet/dark star

I chose to run with planet, you chose to continue with star !

So how about the passing star or stars that are thought to be, may be, responsible for the Late Heavy Bombardment, not to mention those othe members of the progenitor gas cloud of which the Sun was born ( though in this case I will have to conceed that it may take more than 4billion years for one to pass this way again even assuming they are not already gravitationall un-bound by the drag of the gas of the milky way).

Then there is the small matter of Planet Unknown that may have been sling-shot out in the triple mutual that (possibly) caused Jupiter and Saturn to be nolonger where they were formed, not a wild one, actively being discussed in the scientific world.

Just because Planet 9 may not be huge by your def. does not mean there isnt one lurk , , oh lets not do that bit lol! :)

Anyway, my fingers hurt so I am not going to bother further with Zak's condesending How Cutes so there ! and the tone isnt amusing any longer either.

No, I'm not intending to  mock anyone, but I do think it's worrying how much traction the idea that something big enough to disrupt the solar system is. One crazy  went on national TV in the USA telling people to have their pets put down as the Earth was to be destroyed on some date that keeps getting deferred... there have also been mas suicides related to these sorts of ideas. Irresponsible documentaries just give these ideas credibility without realising they can ruin people's day through anxiety or even ruin their whole lives.

3 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

but just to keep the conversation going I ref. hon, member to a post he made earlier> a huge hidden planet/dark star

Now look what you've done, made SA start colour highlighting words, next thing he'll be using capitals :grin:

Disco' is much like all the TV schedule you have to sift through it to find anything worth watching there's usually something astro related on somewhere.

ATM I'm having to watch M.A.S.H. repeats but at least I've forgotten the first time I saw them.

Dave

5 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Now look what you've done, made SA start colour highlighting words, next thing he'll be using capitals :grin:

:laughing4: yer good point, except that I was going to colour the significant sections of my discourse so that others could more easily follow, but then I couldnt be ar-bothered, and only did the yellow bit, sorry om :)

and if the forum used proper BBcode I'd have tagged that (small) (small) soas y'culd'n'see it, chortle

what a hoot, so serious it all becomes when in simple text dont you think ?

If you really want something to worry about, the National Grid are making contingency plans for the next total solar eclipse in the UK as we could be very reliant on solar power by then, perhaps they'll just buy a stack of Lithium batteries :grin:

Wait until the Daily Mail hears about it :eek:

Dave

4 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I think Occam's Razor is more useful.

Nothing that's happened to the solar system in the last 4.5 billion years requires a huge hidden planet/dark star to explain it, so why invoke one? And why should such a thing suddenly become imminently dangerous in the tiny slice of time that is human existence?

Occam's razor is BS, in my opinion. As good for science as Discovery channel. 

42 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

If you really want something to worry about, the National Grid are making contingency plans for the next total solar eclipse in the UK as we could be very reliant on solar power by then, perhaps they'll just buy a stack of Lithium batteries :grin:

Wait until the Daily Mail hears about it :eek:

Dave

:D 

Solar eclipse is nothing compared to nightime. Wait until they hear about this one :D

19 minutes ago, Erla said:

Occam's razor is BS, in my opinion. As good for science as Discovery channel. 

With respect, I disagree, but like any edged weapon it needs to be used with skill and care.

I favour the views of Karl Popper and Richard Dawkins so I'm an unreliable source of opinions on such things :happy8:

20 minutes ago, Erla said:

Wait until they hear about this one :D

Now that is a good one, a real conspiracy designed to make us all want to go to bed so that we dont see   THE TRUTH  oh sorry for shouting  ummm  *the truth*  that is out there.

Archived