Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A few unexpected observers... and me?

Richard Hather

My night started off much the same as it always does, setup and 5-6 objects on my list after an hour or so observing one of the gas giants and of course a bit of lunar observation.

Little did I know things would take a unexpected turn... not for the worst but certainly not for what I had in planned ?

Setup completed with ease it was straight to the moon and what a glorious site even at 21:00 the craters were well defined and mountains very prominent over the terminator.

This was when my next door neighbour and his 13 year old son and friend decided to walk up there garden path ?

So for the next hour or so I was showing my neighbours our lovely moon whilst he told me about going  on holiday to Lapland with the family and seeing the beautiful aurora borealis.

Seeing the wonder and amazement of people seeing our moon close up with there own eyes for the first time was lovely to observe.

The questions that followed ranged from how old our universe is to when will our solar system be no more, it was a lot of fun ?

So it was gone 22:00 when I finally bid them goodnight and finally got back to my list or so I thought...

My lovely wife called through from the living room "is there anything to see" so I shouted back "I've just got Saturn in the eyepiece" well that was it then she was out hogging the eyepiece ?

Bare in mind I've recently purchased 2 new eps and a couple of other bits and bobs I was using for the first time I had barely observed.

But I showed the wife more of the cosmos then I ever have she stayed out long enough for me to show her M13/M57 and M27.

Again the questions flowed about what we was looking at and why they came to be as they are.

So finally it was around 23:30 when I finally got the eyepiece to myself my list forgotten I decided to visit M56 a very unusual globular cluster I had briefly observed at my last outing.

I was so taken by the beautiful star field and unusual cluster I decided to sketch it.

I spent the best part of an hour teasing out as much detail as I could even with a pretty  bright 88% waxing gibbous in the sky there was some lovely structure of the glob to be observed.

Finally packed up and my head buzzing with the session I went to bed.

It was a successful session in how much I shared my knowledge and equipment which is very satisfying.

As for my list the objects will be there next time so they will have to wait ?

Heres a few lunar pics and a scan of my sketch and of myself observing enjoy ?

Clear skies ✨????

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0062.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0066.JPG

IMG_0068.JPG

IMG_0071.JPG

Sounds great Richard.

I hope you were not wearing the observing hood when the neighbors walked up the garden path, otherwise you have cemented your place as the nutty star guy next door for good!

Sharing the experience is often more rewarding than running solo, when one of my daughters joins me at the scope I have a far more rewarding session than just observing. 

30 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Sounds great Richard.

I hope you were not wearing the observing hood when the neighbors walked up the garden path, otherwise you have cemented your place as the nutty star guy next door for good!

Sharing the experience is often more rewarding than running solo, when one of my daughters joins me at the scope I have a far more rewarding session than just observing. 

I did have the hood around my next and my headlight on my head so your im pretty sure I'm the Astro nut ? and proud of it ?

You are right it is very rewarding and people are always surprised at what you can observe and how much detail you can see ?

I am glad you have made a good impression ?

The reactions of others are rewarding, I can mirror my own reactions looking at the moon as a child with my dear dad, my girls reacted the same as I did back then, as have friends and friends children since, priceless experience.

I think we all share your enjoyment of sharing mixed with relief when you can actually do some observing - it's a nice mix. Great sketch by the way!. My wife only looks at Jupiter, Saturn and sometimes the moon. She thinks Saturn looks like it's a photo cut from a book, dangling on a bit of string on the end of the scope. A bit like my nephew

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Brilliant! A great evening and lovely to share it with others. Your sketch is excellent too, nice job! :) 

It's one of the best things about astronomy everyone has some level of fascination with it.

Thank you stu nice to get a sketch done finally to busy doing purely visual lately ?

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

I am glad you have made a good impression ?

The reactions of others are rewarding, I can mirror my own reactions looking at the moon as a child with my dear dad, my girls reacted the same as I did back then, as have friends and friends children since, priceless experience.

Nothing beats showing people the beauty of our universe and educating them.

My son Clark has a real interest in space so I'm hoping to nurture and encourage it and hopefully keep him out of trouble ?

1 hour ago, Moonshane said:

I think we all share your enjoyment of sharing mixed with relief when you can actually do some observing - it's a nice mix. Great sketch by the way!. My wife only looks at Jupiter, Saturn and sometimes the moon. She thinks Saturn looks like it's a photo cut from a book, dangling on a bit of string on the end of the scope. A bit like my nephew

That's brilliant my wife's first reaction was it doesn't look real but once I pointed out titan the Cassini division she was hooked now slowly in introducing DSOs ?

Great report Richard, sharing with others is very rewarding. I find the reaction of children especially pleasing, the moon always brings gasps.

That's a great sketch, I have great respect for the skill shown by all you artists,

Archived