Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

telescopes

TITAN

Hi every 1. i've been interested in astronomy all my live but i'm very new to computers,so ive only just discovered these forums. I have a skywatcher dobsonian 150mm, but i would like something more comfortable to use. My wife is letting me spend £300 on a new scope so i was thinking of the skywatcher evo star 120. Does or has anyone got or had a evo star? If so how does it perform?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi. Titan.

Welcome to SGL. Hope you enjoy your stay with us. You will find lots of help and advice should you need it.

Regards the 120 ev refractor, I have no experience of that particular model, but I have owned a similar type, and enjoyed it to the full. The ev will no doubt give some nice views of a variety of objects, the major planets, the moon of course, double stars, and some of the deep sky stuff too. You will of course find the equatorial mount a bit different to operating the dobsonian, but you will soon adjust to it, and tracking is easier once you have the mount aligned to the pole.

Enjoy the new instrument, and if you need anything, just ask.

Ron.

Thanks for that everyone. And thanks for making me feel welcome. I love looking at the moon and planets mostly. With a dobsonian its very difficult to find things that you cant see with the naked eye in deep sky. Hopefully with my new one it will be easire to find things. I am going to have a look at some orion scopes before i make up my mind. I think my budget of £300 mite not be enough for an orion.

Hi Titan

I have the Evostar 120 and have had wonderul views of planets and moon through it. Its a good performer on clusters and some brighter DSO's too. Nice and crisp but as with all non APO refractors it does suffer from a little false colouring (aka Chromatic Abberation) which is more evident at high magnification on planets and moon. I would also say that its not plain sailing to use. Objects on the zenith for example are a real pain in the backside to view through it even with the diagonal attached (due to the eyepiece being positioned so near the floor when pointing up). All in all though a nice scope. Also its easier to track the sky with when compared to the Dobsonian it as its EQ mounted. This is just a thought but there's nothing stopping you buying an EQ mount and tube rings for the 150 dob tube that you already have? (It would save you money and the EQ mounted 150 Newt would win on everything apart from from maybe planetary).

Me personally, I prefer my 250 Newt cus the larger aperture just wipes the floor with my 120 on all objects :clouds2: (But I am a bit of an obsessive)

Matt

Hi

I have a skymax 127 on an supatrak mount - see

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=SW127SupaTrakAUTO

This is a really nice telescope for planetary and lunar work, with high magnification and crisp images. Its also very compact and managable, great for a quick pop outside to view a planet (I also have an 8 inch Dob, which outperforms that skymax on DSOs but gives very similar views of planets or the moon).

Titan

Why do you think a 120mm Refractor will make it easier to find DSOs than the Dobsonian? The finder will be the same and the scope aperture will not make them any brighter. I sounds like what you really need is a larger correct image finder (8x50 or 9x50). A lot cheaper than a whole new scope.

Mike

GAC

Galloway Astronomy Centre

www.gallowayastro.com

Titan

Why do you think a 120mm Refractor will make it easier to find DSOs than the Dobsonian? The finder will be the same and the scope aperture will not make them any brighter. I sounds like what you really need is a larger correct image finder (8x50 or 9x50). A lot cheaper than a whole new scope.

Mike Hello mike. Well because you cant polar align my dobsonian like you can with an eq mount like whats on the evo 120. With my dob you just point and aim, it can be very difficult to find things if you cant see them. Or am i doing something wrong?

GAC

Galloway AStronomy Centre

www.gallowayastro.com

Welcome to SGL Titan :clouds2:

I can relate to the frustration of trying to find anything! It put me off for a long time. What changed my enjoyment level was purchasing a simple red dot finder. Once aligned (and its pretty easy to align) it allows you to see where your scope is pointing, and so makes finding things much, much easier. Its particularly easy for the moon and bright planets, and with a star map makes finding deepsky objects much easier too.

I'd say to try a red dot finder with your current scope first, and then decide whether you want/need a different type of scope. Flo stock a cheap one http://www.firstlightoptics.com/products.php?cat=63 or you could go for a bigger one called a Telrad http://www.modernastronomy.com/accessories.html#accFinders (which a friend of mine who had been completely discouraged by failing to find things with her Dob now finds things with and loves).

An equatorial mount on its own isn't really the answer to finding things. You'd need to invest in one with motors and goto technology, and even then you'd have to find the alignment stars to set it up properly.

HTH

Helen

Welcome to SGL Titan :clouds2:

I can relate to the frustration of trying to find anything! It put me off for a long time. What changed my enjoyment level was purchasing a simple red dot finder. Once aligned (and its pretty easy to align) it allows you to see where your scope is pointing, and so makes finding things much, much easier. Its particularly easy for the moon and bright planets, and with a star map makes finding deepsky objects much easier too.

I'd say to try a red dot finder with your current scope first, and then decide whether you want/need a different type of scope. Flo stock a cheap one http://www.firstlightoptics.com/products.php?cat=63 or you could go for a bigger one called a Telrad http://www.modernastronomy.com/accessories.html#accFinders (which a friend of mine who had been completely discouraged by failing to find things with her Dob now finds things with and loves).

An equatorial mount on its own isn't really the answer to finding things. You'd need to invest in one with motors and goto technology, and even then you'd have to find the alignment stars to set it up properly.

HTH

Helen

Thanks for that Helan. Its not just the viewing experience with my dob, i find it uncumfortable to use too. I'm not putting dobs down in any way they are good scopes if you are comfortable with them. But i will take yor advice and get a red dot finder with my new scope, which i think will be a skywatcher 120 evo star.

Archived