First Saturn with a Startravel 120

JayPea

Hi, I had a first go at Saturn last night. I was having a second go (1st go was Jupiter) with my ZWO 290 MM, Nikon x2 teleconverter and my basic StarTravel 120.

I was finally set up, focused and (eventually!) had Saturn in my viewfinder by about 10:15. I approximately aligned the tripod but there was still some drift of Saturn in the viewfinder over a couple of minutes so my first trial drifted out of my cropped imaging view within 40 seconds. But all looked to be working OK.

So off I went recording. Shortly into the clip Saturn disappeared! I hadn’t appreciated the clouds were now coming in. I tried a few more times but they were never quite as clear as the trial run and so I gave up and came in.

I was pleasantly surprised with the result (Autostakkert) from the first clip. I can see the A and B rings although maybe not the dark gap/band inbetween (is that the Cassini division or Huygens gap or called something else?). Something to work to in the future.
Below is the result.

John

Saturn.jpg

Nice work Jaypea.   I was in wait for 2 hours, but was thwarted with a bank of cloud that just blocked the view continually......  sod's law..... still got some DSO frames in later, so not too grumpy..

That's a nice grab. I like the way you have shown it off too! The Cassini Division is clearly visible.

As you have a mono camera and Saturn is horribly low from UK skies for the next few years, it might be worth considering a red filter or even an IR Pass filter - red light isn't affected so much by our atmosphere.

Clear skies!

Craney, the fairy lights are the least of my dark site problems (they have a switch). The three orange street lights may go out at midnight but the bright white old folks car park and security lights stay on all night and then there is next doors extra bright wide angle security light that I set off if I so much as breathe in my back garden. An ex Gotham city police bat light?  Makes it easy to set up and take down in the "dark" though :-)

DarkSiteNot.gif

Archived