NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Anyone live in La Palma fancy a lodger for a week in May 2018 ??

spaceboy

OK so the plan was to go to La Palma May next year for a family holiday and stargazing but all prices I have found for a family of 4 is simply not going to happen. The kids and their mum just aren't that much in to astronomy to warrant a holiday based around stargazing and would much rather get in to debt going away during August and making the best of peak summer.

I unfortunately have decided what's the point in having a bucket list if your going to die never having at least tried ticking items of it. One of those high on my list would be to see omega centauri. This means that if I am going to get to see that globular wonder of the night sky I'm going to have to travel alone and to a very tight budget as I plan to hire a scope while there. I assume I will also need a rental car to get to suitable locations for observing.

So in desperation I am sending out the feelers in the hope someone resides or knows of someone in La Palma that wouldn't mind having a lodger for a week or two around May 2018 ?? I really only need a floor to sleep on and a place to store a rental scope. I had considered sleeping in a rental car but I think after a day or two the idea would soon wear thin. I would have some budget to cover board or could do chores to earn my keep so to speak.

The plan is to get a couple nights stargazing in with the emphasis on seeing NGC 5139. Needless to say I am aware that cloud and weather decide how easy this is going to be to achieve with NGC 5139 sitting quite low in the sky also against me. With this in mind I would prefer to increase my chances of seeing it by booking a 2 week flight but appreciate that not everyone would be willing to allow a stranger into their home for this long so would be grateful for any amount of time afforded.

As a last resort I may be able to get a tent in with my luggage allowance so if anyone knows a cheap camping site this could also be a consideration.

If anyone has any other ideas how to accomplish a weeks stay in La Palma on a measly budget other than the ones above then please feel free to put them out there. Maybe a group (star party) booking could be an idea if there were any others interested in seeing omega centauri (or even the spectacular skies in general) with out having to mortgage the house visiting the land down under ?? I'm sure I can't be the only person who can't get the rest of the family to visit a Spanish island out of season :D

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's plenty for a family to do on La Palma. Are you sure you can't convince the family to accompany you ?

My wife and I go regularly. And are heading back again for 2 weeks next year despite the journey there becoming more awkward now it looks like EasyJet won't be flying there direct. 

The other dark island is Fuertaventura where we're off to in 10 days. That's serviced by direct flights by RyanAir. 

Could convincing the family to join you on either island even if you compromise timings be an option ?

Both islands are great for dark skies and other activities...

Cannot help on anything specific but besides checking the usual cost of getting there also check the cost of the train. I was looking for a sort break and the air fares were all coming out at £250. As it was just over the channel I though what about Eurostar. I can get a return to Brussels for £81, and that includes the cost of here to London. So no driving and no car park costs, and no insane costs for here to London that includes the peak commuter time. That aspect makes it a viable proposition as even driving to Stansrted and parking adds up, and Gatwick or Heathrow is a lot more.

Mention it as I recall one of the Michael Portillo journeys on the Spanish High Speed Trains. Just might be an option to sit on a train and (if possible) relax.

Also how far South do you need to go? Any suitable observatories on the mainland bit of Europe that you could get to easier.

50 minutes ago, Stargazer McCabe said:

There's plenty for a family to do on La Palma. Are you sure you can't convince the family to accompany you ?

My wife and I go regularly. And are heading back again for 2 weeks next year despite the journey there becoming more awkward now it looks like EasyJet won't be flying there direct. 

The other dark island is Fuertaventura where we're off to in 10 days. That's serviced by direct flights by RyanAir. 

Could convincing the family to join you on either island even if you compromise timings be an option ?

Both islands are great for dark skies and other activities...

They ain't avin none of it mate. Part of the problem is the lack of funds and that it would be the first time abroad (and on a plane for the kids) so their mum wants it to be all the bells and whistles "SUN" holiday for them.

28 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

I didn't think La Palma was  a tourist island? Plenty dark skies in Gran Canaria,Tenerife etc ..the more south you go the higher up the targets are..i have a look for you in August

I should have mentioned the plan to go to La Palma was to also included a visit to the observatories. I know any of the Canary islands would have done to see omega centauri but if I'm down that way La Palma seems to obvious choice over the other islands for an astronomer.

I have been to Fuerteventura, admittedly it was in June, but I didn't find the skies particularly dark.  But you don't need dark skies to see Omena centauri, I saw it from the observatory in Sydney where it's very Light polluted.  

I admire you determination, and if I could take my imaging gear to such a location, I would love to.  

Why don't you see if you can chum up with some other like minded people, and then you can book accommodation and share the cost of a car etc. 

How about this:

http://www.astrolapalma.com/en/content/events-for-amateur-astronomers-starparties

Carole 

4 hours ago, Mick J said:

I was just thinking much the same as McCabe, family holiday in the Canaries, you bum off for a short time on the ferry or something, you may need a car or airb&b.  Don't forget how bright that moon can be.  This may be of interest. good luck with it.

Thanks. I've already browsed this site and found it helpful for sites to visit while there. It also gives you an idea of just how high up some of the spots are and that a car is ideal but not a necessity for observing. Again though I think I'll have no choice but to hire a car as my prediction is NGC 5139 will only reach 13-14° at it's best in April / May so may pay to get up higher.

4 minutes ago, carastro said:

I have been to Fuerteventura, admittedly it was in June, but I didn't find the skies particularly dark.  But you don't need dark skies to see Omena centauri, I saw it from the observatory in Sydney where it's very Light polluted.  

I admire you determination, and if I could take my imaging gear to such a location, I would love to.  

Carole 

End of April / May is when it sits at it's highest Carol. Beggars can't be choosers and as La Palma is already going to be difficult to budget for, the land of OZ is only going to happen if I won the lottery.

16 minutes ago, spaceboy said:

They ain't avin none of it mate. Part of the problem is the lack of funds and that it would be the first time abroad (and on a plane for the kids) so their mum wants it to be all the bells and whistles "SUN" holiday for them.

I should have mentioned the plan to go to La Palma was to also included a visit to the observatories. I know any of the Canary islands would have done to see omega centauri but if I'm down that way La Palma seems to obvious choice over the other islands for an astronomer.

I've had a look for you..in March it's here ..Screenshot_20170704-175939.thumb.png.2de8e717c95b1657d5bb2943beb5ddb6.png

Not 100% sure where Olly is and I half suspect he is more directed to imaging from some of what he has posted. But there is in France Astrofarm. They seem to have a B&B set up and a single person/bed or whatever is down as €30 per night. Also I think they have the equipment there for residents to use.

It will depend if it is far enough south to observe what you want, but it might be a suitable short break for 1. Seems you can get the Eurostar to Paris then on to Limoges where they will pick you up, and if the prices they say are enywhere close to correct it could be an inexpensive trip down and a relatively inexpensive stay.

As understood does depend if it is Southern enough.

Fuertaventura has plenty of dark skies, and in locations where houses can be rented so don't discount it. Admittedly no observatories... And it's easier to get to...

But I take your point about La Palma. That's why we go back a couple of times each year. 

The darker, drier side of the island is on the West. Find houses or fincas around Tijarafe and you'll be under great skies and away from what little light pollution there is. 

On La Palma a hire car is an absolute must unless you are staying in Santa Cruz de La Palma. But even then it's essential to get away to darker sites. So I'd hire a car and go West...

I'm intrigued to find out how @ronin gets to an island off the African coast by train and back in a week  !! ?

Ping me a pm if you want any data. I know where scopes can be rented now the main Business that used to do so has closed. We also, having visited so many times, know where the good observing sites and more reasonable accommodation can be found..

Perhaps the cheapest accommodation option if you were able to get to La Palma independently, would be to book into a hostel.

http://www.hostelworld.com/findabed.php/ChosenCity.La-Palma/ChosenCountry.Spain?gclid=CLWNme2Q8NQCFc8K0wod6JcLww&s_kwcid=AL!591!3!185485116678!b!!g!!&source=adwordsdynamic&network=g&creative=185485116678&adposition=1t2&uniqueclickID=17527832509139290958&sub_keyword=&sub_ad=b&sub_publisher=ADW&ef_id=WVfJlAAABYwNjTcz:20170704171708:s

If the cost of flights was too prohibitive and you would settle instead just to get as far south as you could for observing, consider megabus (then hire a car), they do routes to the continent, not only can they be cheap, they are so I believe supremely comfortable. Not just favoured by young people, my brother in law came to stay with us, Leeds to Newcastle, ticket booked about ten days before hand at the princely sum of £1. Sure Newcastle is the wrong way, but there is a service that will take you into Spain. Olly's place as mentioned might be a good idea to.

14 minutes ago, spaceboy said:

I may pop a PM to Olly and see but I think he may not be as high above sea level (get above the clouds) as La Palma can offer??

Our house is at 700m above sea level on the coast. And it's pretty clear most nights. But to get higher you'll need that car...

I'm not certain whether any mates will come and join us next year. But this year we had this place to ourselves despite the fact it can sleep 6...

We're heading out in March as we have other plans in the summer...

If March might be possible I can always see whether there's a corner spare...

IMG_8981.PNG.18d707c496122bc33d9d8c1672ceb019.PNGIMG_8980.PNG.721ae146c489846b913d1c152cec54ea.PNG

1 hour ago, Stargazer McCabe said:

I'm not certain whether any mates will come and join us next year. But this year we had this place to ourselves despite the fact it can sleep 6...

We're heading out in March as we have other plans in the summer...

If March might be possible I can always see whether there's a corner spare...

IMG_8981.PNG.18d707c496122bc33d9d8c1672ceb019.PNGIMG_8980.PNG.721ae146c489846b913d1c152cec54ea.PNG

That would be incredibly kind of you !!! And as astronomers we could enjoy the true splendour of omega centauri together. I shall check and see if it gets high enough off the horizon in March to escape any LP or haze :)

2 minutes ago, spaceboy said:

That would be incredibly kind of you !!! And as astronomers we could enjoy the true splendour of omega centauri together. I shall check and see if it gets high enough off the horizon in March to escape any LP or haze :)

I'll have a natter to the mob and The Memsahib...

Archived