Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Evostar 80ED

Hi all,

It's been a while on this site (a new child will do that! :) ). But she's growing up fast, so hopefully back to the sky. I never started much imaging, but I would like to. I've got a C11, but I think I should start with a smaller scope to learn. 

What about the Skywatcher Evostar 80ED? I'd add the field flattener with this, and it would be sat on my CGEM with a QHY8L.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Will

you couldn't of made a better choice, the little ed punches far above its weight, ive had mine a few years and never felt the need to upgrade to a different 80mm, and you can also use it for solar with a solar filter like quark, wedge, film. ive even had half decent shots of Saturn and Jupiter with a good barlow. clear skys, charl.

1 hour ago, Willarnold said:

Cool, thanks guys

If you do want a SkyWatcher 0.85 Flattener, drop me a PM. I've got an unused one. Thought we were heading down the AP route as well as visual with our ED80. But best laid plans and all that...

Been sat in original packaging, unused since purchase...

3 hours ago, Willarnold said:

Scopes just arrived, wow it's a LOT bigger than I thought it would be :)  

Quick question, would you stick with the tube rings and mounting bar that came with it, up change them?

The standard rings are fine. You also need to get the 0.85 FF/FR (which screws directly to the drawtube), that will give you a rock-solid connection for your camera.

You can buy a faster system than you've chosen but you can't buy an easier one and, in a whacky game with lots of problems, 'easy' is very, very good. You'll have a few challenges ahead but you've made a choice which will minimize them.

Years ago Honda made a motorbike called the CX500, about which someone said, 'A million despatch riders can't be wrong.' Good point. The ED80 is in the same arena.

Olly

The main change I did to the standard kit was to take off the dovetail and put it on top of the rings and buy a longer one for underneath. Rock solid with a mini handle and somewhere to attach guide scope. 

13 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Years ago Honda made a motorbike called the CX500, about which someone said, 'A million despatch riders can't be wrong.' Good point. The ED80 is in the same arena.

Olly

And I've yet to fall off my ED80, which is another bonus.....

Archived