NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturn (honestly)

You may remember a similar title for a Jupiter run a few month's ago. Well I'm back in the planetary section again with more lunacy (pun, sorry).

Take an EQ3, a ridiculously long 1000mm achro, a focuser at full extension (approx 6"), a DSLR, a 2x barlow precariously affixed to said focuser (about 1cm beyond the nut), haze, a silly ISO setting and a target at only 16° altitude.

Then take the best 50% of the resulting 3000 frames, add Lots of fettling with Registax, drizzling, blending layers etc etc and the result = something that may or may not be recognisable as our beautiful giant ringed neighbour.

On the upside, I did have half an hour's vis with the 130 newt before the haze turned up and the views were lovely considering the altitude, Casini division clearly visible in the moments of best seeing and some mottling on the planetary disk.

Disclaimer: I clearly have no ability to image anything that isn't roughly half a degree or more in diameter, even if I had the equipment to do so. Nevertheless, I still do this vital work to demonstrate the importance of the right tool for the right job.... And to give you all a chuckle, I encourage you to mock and share your cruelest thoughts :)

59321be711b7b_Saturn03-06.png.c38302321f4b558cfef4417a3b63df09.png

4 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

I think you're quite right, if it wasn't over exposed it'd be perfect. ?

I almost agree with you here but I do feel that if you had taken it from a different angle, you might have got the rings a little more open - perhaps walk down the garden a little further next time? :eek:

17 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

perhaps walk down the garden a little further next time? :eek:

Now that's exactly what I was looking for, excellent feedback, the reason I love SGL. There was me thinking I just needed to wait until October.

I may just try this tonight Steve, do you think it would be worth going as far as the back lane? :tongue2:

Despite cruel comments from one moderator, I think it was a pretty good effort considering the aperture and the low altitude(I was also out imaging on the same evening so I know how difficult it is for us folks up near the Arctic Circle to capture Saturn!!).

Chris

Just now, chiltonstar said:

Despite cruel comments from one moderator, I think it was a pretty good effort considering the aperture and the low altitude(I was also out imaging on the same evening so I know how difficult it is for us folks up near the Arctic Circle to capture Saturn!!).

Chris

You'd think mods would know better wouldn't you! ?

3 hours ago, johnfosteruk said:

You'd think mods would know better wouldn't you! ?

Believe me John, somewhere around I have a far worse image of Saturn which I was trying to find to show just how far it is possible to fall :) 

42 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

Before pointing out that I invited cruelty in the OP please recall that as I've stated before I am inconsistent. 

Thanks John, thought that I was forgetting something for a moment! Glad the sense of humour is intact! :) 

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

Thanks John, thought that I was forgetting something for a moment! Glad the sense of humour is intact! :) 

Don't ever take anything I say seriously Stu. Life is too short as we were reminded last night. 

Archived