NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

FIREWORKS!

ollypenrice

Here's the supernova in NGC6946. I already had an image of this from the TEC140 pre-supernova at lower resolution (Atik 4000.) So last night we shot three hours of new luminance in the same scope but at higher resolution (Atik 460.) The SN is pretty spectacular.

NGC6946%20SN%20.jpg

Annotated:

NGC6946%20SN%20ANNOTATED.jpg

and pre- supernova

pre%20supernova%20crop-M.jpg

Olly

There's a faint suggestion of a star on the pre-SN image at the point you indicate.  That's surely not the star in question?  I would have thought it unobservable before the event?  Just a coincidence (literally ?)

9 minutes ago, AKB said:

There's a faint suggestion of a star on the pre-SN image at the point you indicate.  That's surely not the star in question?  I would have thought it unobservable before the event?  Just a coincidence (literally ?)

I don't think it's in exactly the same place. I did wonder about it but I think 20 million LY is too far to resolve stars in a five inch.

Olly

1 minute ago, ollypenrice said:

I think 20 million LY is too far to resolve stars in a five inch.

...even from your location, with your kit?  I'm disappointed!

1 minute ago, vdb said:

Nice, almost as good as my effort ;-), I'm also running it on the ODK at your place. Do you plan om adding RGB with the new camera as well?

/Yves

I wasn't going to shoot RGB with the 460. Actually the original image is one you and I did years ago. The colour was good but the L was a bit soft. Also I have yet to manage any good colour with the new camera. I don't know why that is. So I think I'll call a halt at this point. It will be great to see what you can get with the robotic scope.

Olly

4 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I wasn't going to shoot RGB with the 460. Actually the original image is one you and I did years ago. The colour was good but the L was a bit soft. Also I have yet to manage any good colour with the new camera. I don't know why that is. So I think I'll call a halt at this point. It will be great to see what you can get with the robotic scope.

Olly

Yeah I remember shooting this one with you several years ago, will use it to compare it to SN one

/Yves

4 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

I don't think it's in exactly the same place. I did wonder about it but I think 20 million LY is too far to resolve stars in a five inch.

Olly

But that's exactly what you've done with the supernova :-)

@ollypenrice I realise that I'm not going to equal your image with my skies and equipment, let alone your experience in processing!

However, when I really push my colour (DSLR RGB) the same red and blue bits come out in my galaxy as yours, fuzzier and less well defined but in the right places. Unfortunately the stars all go an awful orange. If I try and balance the stars, the galaxy goes grey and boring.

I realise I need (lots) more data and better seeing, but is there a simple techniquu to address this? Should I be splitting the stars and galaxy and processing the colour separately or should I use a colour replace? Quick tries of both approaches and I just seem to make things worse...

Great image Olly, when I look at the increase in brightness against the background of such a distant object, it is, well, just simply mind blowing.

Even with my light night sky I was hoping to make this first light on my new mono camera, but alas it is still in transit from Moravian Instruments. How quickly does an event like this in a galaxy that distant fade back, presumably in a matter of days?

Just found out it's a type IIp SN which means the brightness will stay fairly constant for several weeks. My biggest problems will be my Northerly latitude, clouds and oh, getting to grips with my new camera once it arrives.

10 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

@ollypenrice I realise that I'm not going to equal your image with my skies and equipment, let alone your experience in processing!

However, when I really push my colour (DSLR RGB) the same red and blue bits come out in my galaxy as yours, fuzzier and less well defined but in the right places. Unfortunately the stars all go an awful orange. If I try and balance the stars, the galaxy goes grey and boring.

I realise I need (lots) more data and better seeing, but is there a simple techniquu to address this? Should I be splitting the stars and galaxy and processing the colour separately or should I use a colour replace? Quick tries of both approaches and I just seem to make things worse...

I'd be inclined to make a star selection. If you have Noel's Actions this is a one click job, followed by expand and feather. If you don't, check out Martin B's tutorials on the processing stickies on here. He explains how to make a star selection. This way you can isolate your stars and tweak the colour independently of the galaxy. 

You might also do it by using 'Colour Select' to pick up the dodgy reds and tweak them once selected. Do this as a top layer so you can erase any bits that get inadvertently modified where you don't want them to be.

Olly

Even without the SN this is a great image. The colours are superb and the star field is top notch. You are starting to get quite faint outer stuff around the galaxy that I've not seen before..... :) 

4 hours ago, Barry-Wilson said:

A real explosion of colour emboding its colloquial namesake.  Well judged colour balance.

Are you getting to llike the Sony chip?

Sort of!

I like the resolution but, so far, I have struggled with colour data from this scope-camera combo. It could be passing sky conditions, it could be camera/scope coloour correction relationship. I can't comment in a useful way. As it stands I feel the scope-camera can certainly deliver the resolution and if it won't deliver the colour then I'll use a different camera for the RGB. Early days...

Olly

Archived