NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter and Great Red Spot

Virgoman

Haven't posted anything on here for quite a wee while but nice weather conditions here  (once I had got over the shock) has allowed me to devote some time to imaging Jupiter. I have quite s few more attempts to process - making hay and all that (except the sun isn't shining lol! but you get the gist!). This image is the result of one of those sessions on the evening of 02.05.17. The GRS was nicely placed on Jupe's globe and I was particularly pleased to image it because it has seemed in the past that its transiting has coincided with awful seeing for me!! Anyway enough waffle imaged with a Celestron C8 and a ZWO290MM camera via Baader LRGB filters and a x2 Barlow. Total of  3x1min RGB and derotated in Winjupos. Many thanks for looking and clear skies!

Best regards,

Ralph

JUPITER 02.05.17 @22.29UT.png

12 minutes ago, Tommohawk said:

++ to that. Lovely image, processing nicely balanced - amazing from a C8!

Can i ask a silly question? What do the CMI CMII and CMIII figures represent?

Not a silly question at all - far from it! It is my understanding that CM stands for the Central Meridian of the planet (ie the line that passes through the centre of the planet's disc as viewed by the observer) and the CM values shown are those at the time the image was taken - the values are readily available form the planet Ephemerides. All planets have a latitude and longitutude system of coordinates to define areas and it is the degree of longitude which is crossing the meridian at this time that is shown. Jupiter is complicated by the fact that there are three zones or systems rotating at different speeds! CM1 - the equatorial region - rotates faster than the remaining regions (temperate) collectively known as CM2 - hence the different values! The third value CM3 is a rather different beast and was created when radio waves were detected on Jupiter which were found to rotate at a third rate - hence the third value!

55 minutes ago, Tommohawk said:

Thanks for the explanation! I noticed this data in the ASI/FC log file and figured it must mean something to somebody - now I know!

Your very welcome Tom. Glad it was of some help!

........and very many thanks Michael, Craig, Simon, Tom, laudropb, Peter for the kind comments. Cheers Peter!... it has been a bit too long...mind you the weather hasn't helped!

Best regards,

Ralph

Archived