Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Kennedy Space Centre

JennyBull

So excited to have visited the Kennedy Space Centre on launch day and got to see the rocket launch! Also a tour of NASA so now I wanna leave my job and go work there...I will do anything! Times like this I wish I could rethink my career choice ?

20170418_123520.jpg

I was so lucky. When i booked my America trip i didnt realise there was a launch. It was only a few weeks before I was told about it. It was so busy and I actually watched it while queuing to get in. Was a heart thumping moment ? I'm planning to go back next year. They are launching a new deep space telescope called The James Webb which sounds incredible 3 times bigger than the Hubble apparently!

Was lucky enough to be there in 2010 for a shuttle launch. At the time it was the last launch of Atlantis. But they slotted another one in later on. Viewed the launch from Space Walk Park in Titusville. Only had a compact camera at the time but managed to get a video and some stills. Definitely one of THE best things I have ever done in my life. 

2017-04-30_11-51-15.thumb.jpg.b068ed8c8a20364d565949a540eb452d.jpg

I was so lucky. When i booked my America trip i didnt realise there was a launch. It was only a few weeks before I was told about it. It was so busy and I actually watched it while queuing to get in. Was a heart thumping moment ? I'm planning to go back next year. They are launching a new deep space telescope called The James Webb which sounds incredible 3 times bigger than the Hubble apparently!

Wow amazing. As there was a launch they wouldn't let us off the bus at the NASA building ? those pics are fab. My phone won't let me upload any and I'm  it that technical ? oh looks like I can upload pics lol. PS is that the real.Atlantis? How did i miss that?

I can't  Imagine  any other   event that would test my  nerves  like a live Shuttle launch. After two disasters, which in Hindsight were preventable, I do get pretty edgy watching,  even on TV.    These vehicles are well  constructed, but always  in the back of my  mind, I fear another oversight may be costly. Thankfully the Shuttle programme is concluded, and we  look forward to the next generation of  Space Vehicles. 

Pleased  you  enjoyed the  experience Jennifer, it is something you'll remember  forever. Some  nice Fotees too as reminders.       Thanks for posting  the story for us to Enjoy. 

Where we watched the launch in Titusville was extremely busy, thousands had turned out as it was, at the time, one of the last shuttle launches and at the time THE last Atlantis launch. There was NASA radio being played through speakers, the countdown was a "hair on back of neck standing up" moment for sure and while not particularly British, I couldn't help but join in with the "whooping" from the locals. It was a truly stunning event to see. 

I was also there for the last launch of the shuttle...it was fantastic..an American couple had drove for 2 days to watch it...I couldn't help myself and said I'd travelled from England just for the event, I was in fact on holiday and got lucky!

2 hours ago, barkis said:

I can't  Imagine  any other   event that would test my  nerves  like a live Shuttle launch. After two disasters, which in Hindsight were preventable, I do get pretty edgy watching,  even on TV.    These vehicles are well  constructed, but always  in the back of my  mind, I fear another oversight may be costly. Thankfully the Shuttle programme is concluded, and we  look forward to the next generation of  Space Vehicles. 

Pleased  you  enjoyed the  experience Jennifer, it is something you'll remember  forever. Some  nice Fotees too as reminders.       Thanks for posting  the story for us to Enjoy. 

Thank you! I always had an interest but life just got in the way so I am determined to introduce  my daughter who is 3 to everything about astronomy so one day hopefully she can tell me things I don't know! She loved the launch which we watched from the back of the car with the roof down lol as we were still queuing to get in but it was still perfect. 

So envious of those who have witnessed a launch !

I've visited the KSC 6 times over the past decade but missed the launches each time. Going for my 7th visit in early June but no launches sheduled, unfortunately :rolleyes2:

Still very much looking forward to visiting again though - I might do the historic launch pads tour this time around. :icon_biggrin:

The nature watching in the surrounding reserves and preserves is excellent as well !

21 minutes ago, JennyBull said:

Thank you! I always had an interest but life just got in the way so I am determined to introduce  my daughter who is 3 to everything about astronomy so one day hopefully she can tell me things I don't know! She loved the launch which we watched from the back of the car with the roof down lol as we were still queuing to get in but it was still perfect. 

Astronomy could well be a Gateway to  your daughters Future. As you know, Astronomy is built around many
of the Sciences, Math being a very Important ingredient, but many more subjects too, just as Important to the whole.
Youngsters who are Introduced to the stars through the use of Telescopes and Binoculars, may be standing on the thresh hold of a bright career.
There needs to be a natural love of the Hobby,   Activity  though,  I can't abide the Hobby word as the description for it, it seems to offend it to my eyes. probably a stupid  reaction on my part.
I guess to most Amateurs, it is how it's described, besides, it is no less Important however it is named.
I hope your Young Daughter takes to it  anyway :icon_biggrin:.

14 minutes ago, John said:

So envious of those who have witnessed a launch !

I've visited the KSC 6 times over the past decade but missed the launches each time. Going for my 7th visit in early June but no launches sheduled, unfortunately :rolleyes2:

Still very much looking forward to visiting again though - I might do the historic launch pads tour this time around. :icon_biggrin:

The nature watching in the surrounding reserves and preserves is excellent as well !

That's a great shame John. You'd have bet money on witnessing at least one Launch out of the six trips.
Perhaps The Baikanur Cosmodrome would afford a better chance for you  to see a Launch :icon_biggrin:.

8 hours ago, barkis said:

Astronomy could well be a Gateway to  your daughters Future. As you know, Astronomy is built around many
of the Sciences, Math being a very Important ingredient, but many more subjects too, just as Important to the whole.
Youngsters who are Introduced to the stars through the use of Telescopes and Binoculars, may be standing on the thresh hold of a bright career.
There needs to be a natural love of the Hobby,   Activity  though,  I can't abide the Hobby word as the description for it, it seems to offend it to my eyes. probably a stupid  reaction on my part.
I guess to most Amateurs, it is how it's described, besides, it is no less Important however it is named.
I hope your Young Daughter takes to it  anyway :icon_biggrin:.

Great post.

10 hours ago, barkis said:

That's a great shame John. You'd have bet money on witnessing at least one Launch out of the six trips.
Perhaps The Baikanur Cosmodrome would afford a better chance for you  to see a Launch :icon_biggrin:.

Unfortunately Baikonur is still (I believe) not open to regular visitors. I know someone who went there with the "Sky at Night" team (including Sir Patrick Moore) quite few years ago and they were the 1st western team that had ever visited. Here is the story of the trip:

Great stuff Jenny. Very jealous, I would love to visit Kennedy Space Centre. Witnessing a launch would be amazing; I guess the chances of everything lining up in terms of timing are pretty slim but incredible when it happens!

2 hours ago, John said:

Unfortunately Baikonur is still (I believe) not open to regular visitors. I know someone who went there with the "Sky at Night" team (including Sir Patrick Moore) quite few years ago and they were the 1st western team that had ever visited. Here is the story of the trip:

Thanks for the video John, I don't know why I have never seen that before.  I know the Russians kept much of their Space endeavors under wraps, although I do recall seeing a TV report when they opened their  Moon Lander proposed projects for perusal. I distinctly recall seeing inside one of the  intended landers, and was a bit shocked by the seemingly crude controls. Looked more like  the inside of a railway signal box. 

Of course they  are a very accomplished in  Space Engineering these days.           I was pleased to see Dr. John Mason in that Group  on the plane.   I always believed he would take over from Sir Patrick's  Sky at Night prog. 

Thanks again for the video. 

On 2017-4-29 at 23:50, JennyBull said:

So excited to have visited the Kennedy Space Centre on launch day and got to see the rocket launch! Also a tour of NASA so now I wanna leave my job and go work there...I will do anything! Times like this I wish I could rethink my career choice ?

20170418_123520.jpg

SpaceX  are advertising for recruits :grin:

Dave

Archived