NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

8" Travel Newtonian 'Zingaro'

12 hours ago, BGazing said:

Given that this is supposed to be held like a baby or rest around the neck of the observer, is it fair to say that it is an equivalent of 8in binoculars when it comes to stability?

I bought 70x25 binos a few years ago: I find them useless if not mounted: I cannot hold them steady enough for good views.

Dovetail mounted on a light alt az it could be a very nice (but a tad pricey) option.

18 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

Has anyone else tried to hand hold a Newtonian RFT?, I once made a 6.25 F3.8 version and it was a nightmare to find things and keep the view steady.  :icon_biggrin:

It sounds like one of those things that would be wonderful if it worked, but an absolute nightmare in practise!

I wonder when someone will invent a gyro stabilized scope that sits on perhaps a ball joint for example and can just be moved wherever you want it and it stays put with no vibrations? ;) 

Archived