Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hadley Rille (Apollo 15 Site)

Rodd

C11Edge At F40 (4x Powermate), ZWO ASI 174m with IR 642 filter.  The seeing was good enough to enable the resolution of the dark crescent at the right end of Hadley Rille into a hillock.  This feature often appears as a crater, though it is actually a rise and not a depression.

IR-642-F40-10.thumb.jpg.f6a0fd997f96ea75f6e4366d3e877b60.jpg

2 minutes ago, gnomus said:

Another corker Rodd.  Balance of contrast and the level of sharpness look spot on.  

Thanks Gnomus. I think the ASI 220 )or 224) is the camera to get for lunar/planets with its smaller pixels.  Most of the C14 images are with that camera and they are just spectacular.  I think the ASI 174 is better for solar.  Fortunately the planetary cams are not expensive.

Just now, John said:

Lovely image of one of my favourite parts of the lunar surface :thumbright:

I think it was Apollo 15 rather than 16 though.

Thanks Mark--sorry, my bad.  Don't know why "16" was stuck in my head.

1 minute ago, Alfian said:

Superb, inspiring stuff.

Thanks Ian.....the Moon inspires me to no end.  Especially through the eyepiece.  As a purely imaging guy, I was blown away one night when I looked at teh Moon through an eyepiece in order to align my finder scope.  Breath taking.

I can understand folk cursing the moon when it lights up the sky when you are looking for other things, but I love the moon and find so much to see. Feature rich I think is the expression and so much more.I am only just beginning to think of dipping my toe in luna photography so images like that just do it for me, well done.

6 minutes ago, Alfian said:

I can understand folk cursing the moon when it lights up the sky when you are looking for other things, but I love the moon and find so much to see. Feature rich I think is the expression and so much more.I am only just beginning to think of dipping my toe in luna photography so images like that just do it for me, well done.

The Moon is exasperating--when you want it around, it never is, and when you don't want it around--it is right in your face!  

1 hour ago, Rodd said:

The Moon is exasperating--when you want it around, it never is, and when you don't want it around--it is right in your face!  

I can think of certain parallels but perhaps best not go there.

What a lovely sharp image.  Is this a one shot image or an "average"  from many movie frames?

I was also wondering about resolution. Hadley Rille is about a km wide isn't it. So you must be down at the resolution limit of maybe 250m. Is that about right? 

Thanks ouroboros.  Yes, this is the best 20% of 2,500-3,500 (I can't recall) frames.  I think I was shooting at 20-30 fps (lucky imaging).  I processed the image in Registax.  I have often wondered what the size of the absolute smallest visible detail is.  1/2 kilometer seems to be the number I came up with--which is pretty close to your 250meters.   It gets tough to define details that small.  Craterlets are the best way to do it--but its hard to find a published diameters for the tiny ones!

Rodd

Archived