Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_satellites_v2.jpg

iPeace

Who uses their refractor without a diagonal?

88 posts in this topic

Next session, I am going to try this. Just interested in who does this, and why.

Just to verify: this does give newtonian image orientation, correct? So you need to reverse direction on both axes when hopping or tracking?

:happy11:

It does give Newtonian orientation. I only use the refractor without diagonal when imaging

1 person likes this

Always use a diagonal with my fracs. Happy to adjust when using the dob.

Only time that I don't use a diagonal is when initially checking collimation or optical axis alignment.

Good luck with the experiement Mike :smiley:

1 person likes this

I tried it with binoviewers to avoid having to use a 1.6x or 2x barlow to get focus.

Bit uncomfortable, so probably will not do it too often.

Tony

2 people like this

Just to expand on why I would consider this at all. I actually prefer correct-image views, and have a very nice amici prism diagonal for this. But what if I didn't, and there was not one to be found? If I was resigned to not having correct image, then why put a diagonal in the path at all? I have yet to try a newtonian, but if all of those who use and love them can cope with the rotated image, then why not? Granted the mount will have to be a bit higher, but otherwise?

The view will be the same as a straight through finder so it could be easy to adapt if you use both.

Alan

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

The view will be the same as a straight through finder so it could be easy to adapt if you use both.

Alan

Hadn't thought of that. Have yet to try a straight through finder, as well.

:rolleyes2:

1 hour ago, iPeace said:

Who uses their refractor without a diagonal?

A Pirate?

58f62b420d467_ScreenShot2017-04-18at16_05_07.png.88c6d5a26a91333d8e13af0bee247f14.png

8 people like this

1 minute ago, DRT said:

A Pirate?

58f62b420d467_ScreenShot2017-04-18at16_05_07.png.88c6d5a26a91333d8e13af0bee247f14.png

The advantages just keep piling up!

:icon_biggrin:

3 people like this

I have tried it a few times.  I think there is an improvement in the image seen in the eyepiece, in particular less scatter, which improves contrast (its not huge, but noticeable) but at remotely high altitudes it becomes quite uncomfortable and my neck is good a holding a grudge so I do not really do it.  Just an occasional experiment.

However, if I had one of these I might consider it more often!

58f62c39c1792_StarChair.thumb.jpg.df8217951790746f0ce704aa7a1e8f52.jpg

7 people like this

5 minutes ago, DirkSteele said:

I have tried it a few times.  I think there is an improvement in the image seen in the eyepiece, in particular less scatter, which improves contrast (its not huge, but noticeable) but at remotely high altitudes it becomes quite uncomfortable and my neck is good a holding a grudge so I do not really do it.  Just an occasional experiment.

However, if I had one of these I might consider it more often!

58f62c39c1792_StarChair.thumb.jpg.df8217951790746f0ce704aa7a1e8f52.jpg

Agreed, it would be a sedentary affair, as with binoculars on a deck chair. We'll see how it goes.

Posted (edited)

I suppose that if I had the scope pictured below, it would be more doable.

Otherwise I'd need to start practicing Yoga.....

Dave

57a3d80627cac_ScreenShot2016-08-05at01_02_48.png.58b19bc3f2d4958befaab1ea10dc7d75.png.97bf1597ead2b5e9b47ea7feb8737e7c.png

Edited by Dave In Vermont
Sp.
7 people like this

Apparently straight through viewing is popular in Japan. Don't know why this is but Japanese scopes are usually supplied with extension tubes which allow eyepieces to come to focus without a diagonal. My Tak and Vixen have this facility.

I'm getting curious now. I'll have to extend the legs on my Uni 28 tripod and give it a go !

5 people like this

I would think straight through viewing with the simplified rear optical setup will give slightly better views.

BUT - it's not for me - my back complains too much

2 people like this

3 minutes ago, John said:

Apparently straight through viewing is popular in Japan. Don't know why this is but Japanese scopes are usually supplied with extension tubes which allow eyepieces to come to focus without a diagonal. My Tak and Vixen have this facility.

I'm getting curious now. I'll have to extend the legs on my Uni 28 tripod and give it a go !

That's the spirit!

I do with my f13 4" frac, looking at planets (generally low angle!) as it is reasonably comfortable. Not near the meridian though!!

Chris

4 people like this

8 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

I suppose that if I had the scope pictured below, it would be more doable.

Otherwise I'd need to start practicing Yoga.....

Dave

57a3d80627cac_ScreenShot2016-08-05at01_02_48.png.58b19bc3f2d4958befaab1ea10dc7d75.png.97bf1597ead2b5e9b47ea7feb8737e7c.png

And how about with your Mak?

1 person likes this

I think @Timebandit does this with his 120ED

1 person likes this

Of my scopes, the Vixen 102mm F/6.5 seems the best candidate for this. The eye lens of the eyepiece is around chest height at that angle. I'll give it a go tonight if clear :icon_biggrin:

P1050198.JPG

P1050199.JPG

3 people like this

9 minutes ago, iPeace said:

And how about with your Mak?

With my Mak?! Let's see here.....

1. Build 7-foot pier to hoist it up high on.

2. Find a Dentist's Chair.

Piece o' cake!

Dave

2 people like this

3 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

With my Mak?! Let's see here.....

1. Build 7-foot pier to hoist it up high on.

2. Find a Dentist's Chair.

Piece o' cake!

Dave

Yes, yes, just thinking you could try it on Jupiter seated behind the Porta, just for the hell of it.

I can see you building your own dentist's chair, but I stray from the point.

1 person likes this

Actually it will be interesting to check out some double stars with the scope in this mode and compare the views with old records such as these from 1855:

smithsastro1855.jpg

3 people like this

I recall Sir Patrick showing us his first scope, a 3" frac, lovely brass job, that one also didn't have a diagonal. Made around 1910.

:rolleyes2:

Things have moved on, but still, if he could make it work and map the Moon...

2 people like this

19 minutes ago, John said:

Of my scopes, the Vixen 102mm F/6.5 seems the best candidate for this. The eye lens of the eyepiece is around chest height at that angle. I'll give it a go tonight if clear :icon_biggrin:

P1050198.JPG

P1050199.JPG

That setup is just so nice.

:happy11:

2 people like this

Mind you, this 1990's Japanese postage stamp seems to disprove my theory regarding Japanese observers viewing straight through (I'm just going to slip into my Kimono):

jpnstmp1.jpg

4 people like this