Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A load of Saturn & Jove imagery..!

Kokatha man

Holy Smoke Michael, as a moderator you should know better than to inflame dying embers..! :lol:

I did retract that original statement unequivocally btw, but I will concede that SGL's dark background "can" make it appear as if the image is stretched, or rather slightly brightened: now, of course the images are presented with their own backgrounds but you get quite a bit of interpolation with 2 varying "backgrounds."

But I fail to see how the gamma could be altered btw...

Here's something from my website that might have no bearing whatsoever, but gives an indication of how the eye is easily deceived...about halfway down the page where the animated Ganymede transit is displayed with the 2 contrast strips below as explanations... ;)  http://momilika.net/WebPages/LatestJupiterPics.htm 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Kokatha man said:

But I fail to see how the gamma could be altered btw...

I have looked into this.

The short answer is that web pages almost universally use the SRGB colour space. If you work using a different colour profile such as AdobeRGB or CMYK it will look different when shown in the browser. It's possible for different image editing programs on the same computer to use different colour profiles.

This is why some people see significant changes in images uploaded to SGL, and others don't. A change in gamma and/or saturation are typical symptoms.

Unfortunately SRGB has a smaller gamut (fewer colours) which you don't want if printing your images.

I'll leave this thread to discussion of your images now.

On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:39, Kokatha man said:

...my only concern is that there appears to be some significant stretching of the images after loading onto SGL - ie, the appear significantly brighter than they really are, which gives them a slightly washed-out appearance which is a pity... ;(

Hi Darryl. . I have been away from forum life. Hope everything is good.

I noticed the stretching on here too , I also get a similar effect converting to Gif. Can still see how wonderful the shots are here. I know I am going to be in for a treat when I click your post.

Very good to hear from you Neil! :)

I hope everything is ok with you...I was a bit worried not seeing you around anywhere. (after I slew all those dragons! :lol: )

Flick us a pm or something if you feel like it...Pat & I are taking it easy lately with lots of fishing etc but there still seems far too many images to process or send off etc...

I really do think the background of SGL plays a role in this "stretch" perception...I'll take a screenshot of an image here confining it to within the image itself...& sample the levels etc of it & the original before posting, I'll do this sometime soon & post it...seems like those original comments struck a nerve with a lot of SGL'ers..! ;)

Gifs aren't a good file-type imo except for animations where their inadequacies are "papered over" via the motion in said animations...it is easy to see the differences in a .gif & a .png side-by-side.

PNG-24's should really be everyone's web posting choice imho..! ;)

5 hours ago, Kokatha man said:

Very good to hear from you Neil! :)

I hope everything is ok with you...I was a bit worried not seeing you around anywhere. (after I slew all those dragons! :lol: )

Flick us a pm or something if you feel like it...Pat & I are taking it easy lately with lots of fishing etc but there still seems far too many images to process or send off etc...

I really do think the background of SGL plays a role in this "stretch" perception...I'll take a screenshot of an image here confining it to within the image itself...& sample the levels etc of it & the original before posting, I'll do this sometime soon & post it...seems like those original comments struck a nerve with a lot of SGL'ers..! ;)

Gifs aren't a good file-type imo except for animations where their inadequacies are "papered over" via the motion in said animations...it is easy to see the differences in a .gif & a .png side-by-side.

PNG-24's should really be everyone's web posting choice imho..! ;)

Sounds like some good relaxing days Darryl. I will message for a catch up soon. Out over the local wildlife sanctuary this afternoon with family. 

Regardless of the stretching effect after upload, these are all stunning images. So much work to put all these together. Really well done. Thanks for sharing these with us all. Gives such inspiration. Just need to wait a fair few years before  the planets are in a better position for me personally in the U.K. 

Not to arduous looking at all the lovely pictures Darryl, rest of thread needs to be come back to - but boring it ain't, many thanks.

'taking it easy lately with lots of fishing etc'   sound good to me.

Archived