NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I'm going to take up imaging, thoughts on this rig?

Stu

Visual observing from home is proving just too demoralising so I am going to start deep sky and planetary imaging.

I've read a fair amount on the forum about imaging and so thought I would start with following:

EQ5 mount with dual axis drives on aluminium tripod

SkyWatcher 300PDS - the extra aperture should really help on those DSOs

Canon 1000D for Planetary Imaging. Planets are so big and close that the extra field from the DSLR will be great!

SPC900 with a x3 Barlow for DSOs. I thought that because they are so much further away, the extra mag should really help.

6x30 Finder guider with Lodestar X2 guide camera. I think if I display the guide star on my laptop I should be able to use the dual drives to manually guide quite successfully.

Not sure on the processing side currently. I have an old copy of Microsoft Paint which might work.

Thoughts?

I'm no imager Stu (as you know !) but thats just what I'd go for to provide a real challenge. The rigs that these accomplished folks are using are just too "soft" IMHO - all that CNC, massive mounts, concrete etc. No challenge at all to get great images. Whereas your suggested setup would provide fun and games for months to come :grin:

When you put the 300PDS on the alu tripod, PLEASE, PLEASE post a video of the operation. Ta muchly !! :smiley:

1 minute ago, Cornelius Varley said:

I'm sure you could do all that with just a ST80 on a photo tripod and a mobile phone. :icon_biggrin:

Yes but where's the fun in that? ;) 

26 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Hmm, i think if you really want to make this interesting you should mount the 300p ds on an EQ3-2 and use manual tracking:icon_salut:

Ok, so I can save some budget by going to an EQ3-2, what should I get as an addition?

Archived