Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Lion Sleeps Tonight....I'm worn out from imaging lol

I hope you all have been able to take advantage of the last few clear, if a bit murky nights :-)

I did, and after reminding myself how to use my equipment (by aligning on a random star I thought was Regulus and spending an hour switching on/off again LOLOL) 

........I managed to get some "ok" images of the the Leo Triplet - an object I've always liked for its eerie looking galaxies, their foggy arms hiding some sinister alien civilization, plotting their course for the Milky Way...lol

This is the first time I've imaged this object with my mono camera (ASI1600MM)

I always thought mono imaging was going to be such a pain having to wait numerous nights before I got enough data - but it really piles up fast once you get going doesn't it!? Fantastic - 3.4hrs in two nights - smooth.

Here's my contribution - no need to critique - I know they're pretty much poop compared to most I've seen on here - the skies weren't great, and its the best I could do LOL

Details

Object name

Leo Triplet

Object ID

M65, M66 and NGC 3628

Date(s)

21 and 24 March, 2017

Telescope

Altair 115mm

Camera

ASI1600MM

Luminance

8x5 min / 30x2 min / 1.6 hrs

Red

7x5 min / 35 min

Green

6x5 min / 30 min

Blue

8x5 min / 40 min

Ha

Oiii

Sii

Total time

3.4 hours

Frames

Processing

PixInsight / fully calibrated lights / Levels / Curves / SCNR only

Notes

The skies were not outstanding on either night of imaging this object. I am surprised at how good it turned out considering this.

There is an awful lot of vignetting on the luminance subs which was improved by reducing the exposure time from 300 to 120 seconds.

Alignment of the mount was problematic each night – because I kept aligning on the wrong star! Really must remember that when looking for a 1.4 magnitude star you WILL know it when it appears in on the screen – brighter than anything else besides another <1.4 magnitude star! :-)

y4m0vUKWRyEI60nJzTF1u9pPmoLK53e1nbJmi7tu

y4mSCit_0Qgn8yDlc4QStJ_r9cJ2DpFr39A-cXJR

y4mFbt_GniRdKy_k91MRMV30teLd5TzKKkMz8sRu

y4m6cgnVFq2aOFdPY_1mGJ0OUN44LqiEJqHHhVpY

those are very good david,if mine turn out any where near as good as that i will be a happy bunny.  am on it right now,

bob.

Very good for the short exposures.

Doing a run on this myself with the 130 photoline and 0.75 reducer on my SX694. If it comes out anything like as good as yours I'll be well chuffed.

Thanks guys! Looks like another clear night tonight - thought I might try to grab some Ha on this - I wonder if it will have any impact?

2 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

That's a lovely image David. I wonder would you be better off adding more in lrgb while the conditions allow and maybe grab the ha on a night the moon is interfering.

Sound advice and I'll take it :-) Looks like it will be clear tonight so more lrgb it is - thanks for the "steer" in the right direction :-)

Archived