NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

41P Tuttle-Giacobini-Kresak

Had some clear skies last night for the first time in ages so grabbed the chance to catch up with Comet 41P.

It was nicely placed close enough to M97 and M108 that I could capture them all in the same frame.

4 subs of 180sec @ 1600iso, Canon60Da and F6 refractor.

41PTuttle-Giacobini-Kresak_20170322.jpg

Fantastic pic. It's clear now why I haven't been able to find it, though. Been looking in the wrong place. Stellarium on my phone puts it way north of Ms 97 & 108 ...

Doh!

Screenshot_20170323-152550.png

34 minutes ago, kev100 said:

Been looking in the wrong place. Stellarium on my phone puts it way north of Ms 97 & 108 ...

Doh!

Kev have another look tonight the weather looks promising. The comet tonight is roughly half way between Merek and Megrez.

38 minutes ago, kev100 said:

Fantastic pic. It's clear now why I haven't been able to find it, though. Been looking in the wrong place. Stellarium on my phone puts it way north of Ms 97 & 108 ...

Doh!

Screenshot_20170323-152550.png

I had the same problem the first time I tried to find it using Stellarium on the phone, co-ords were an hour out.

Dave

Looking again at Den's image, I actually think I did see it last night. Having given up on it thinking the seeing here just wasn't good enough, I had a pan around looking at galaxies in the area, and, sure enough, had a look at M108, right next to which was a fuzzy patch which I thought was a poorly resolved (again, because of what I thought was poor seeing) owl neb ... Because I wasn't expecting the comet to be there, I assumed it was the owl, but I'm increasingly sure it was 41P. If I'd known for sure I'd have spent more time on it. Might try again tonight.

Cheers!

Archived