NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A comet and a few DSOs in Draco + a bit more

When I noted we were going to get a clear night I decided I wanted to track down the Comet - 41P/Tuttle-Giacabini-Kresak which was nicely placed. Using Stellarium to produce a map the Comet was easy to locate star hopping from Merak. Using the 12" Dob and a 13mm Ethos the Comet appeared liked a diffused galaxy.

Following that success I moved the scope over to Monoceros and placing an Astronomik O-III filter into the 13mm Ethos I had a nice view of the PN NGC2438 inside M46. Building on the view of Thor's Helmet the other night I looked again and I started to make out some shapes. Although Draco was my main aim for the nights viewing I took in M47, M35, NGC2158, M65, M66, NGC3593, M51, M81 and M82 before venturing into Draco.

The other day @elpajare started a thread on NGC4236 in Draco. I recall  that I had viewed it before but it was at an SGL star party in 2010 when I was using a 10" Dob. So using the 12" and a 20mm Myraid I went looking - well this was not an easy object but I could detect the galaxy using averted viewing. I then took in a number of other galaxies most in Draco but I did venture into Ursa Major. I used a mixture of 20mm Myraid, 13mm Ethos and 9mm Myraid. Objects observed (not in this order) were NGC 4125, 5866 (M102), 5907, 3147, 5982, 5985, 4210, 2985, 3065 and 3066.

I started to observed NGC 6503 and the heavens opened so I retired for the night.

Some interesting objects and I would recommend NGC 5907 (Splinter Galaxy) an 'edge on' galaxy as a nice object to observe.

Very good report Mark :smiley:

I can't recall seeing "the Splinter" as yet, I must have a go at that one.

A couple of years ago I started to list the DSO's that I'd seen on a session by session basis. After I'd built up a nice list I foolishly loaned the memory stick that the file was on to my dear Daughter who managed to loose it !. Did I have a back up copy ? - nope :rolleyes2:

As a result I'm unsure now what I have and have not seen. I'm having to go through constellations again and "re-discover" objects :smiley:

John I must admit that I find giving a detailed report on SGL allows me to look back at objects that I have observed on a particular night. However, I do write down my observing in a book which indicates what DSOs I have observed over the years. My book is filed in the same format as my signature on SGL.

Nice report, it's been a while since I've had a decent scope session under a good sky. I'm a stickler for lists  - I've had to cut down my list habit as I started making lists of lists in different configurations! LOL.

Nice report Mark.

Quite a lot up there in Draco and one of my favourite areas Just up from NGC4125 is the huge NGC4236. This fills the 13ethos in my scope.

Myself and the mob looked at it at the South wales star party last year.  

2 hours ago, estwing said:

lovely stuff Mark and a very productive session...

and isn't just!

Ha ha well spotted Calv I think the fingers hit the keys in the wrong order I meant NGC4236 

18 minutes ago, alan potts said:

Nice report Mark good to hear that some clear sky seems to have shown up, I have had two crystal clear nights, even saw the HH again and the flame, don't see it for two years then twice in a month.

Alan

Alan

Great that you grab HH again. I think @John and I need to visit you :happy11:

39 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Damian I must admit that I was thrown for a minute. I am hoping to go a National Trust dark site tonight and will hopefully view NGC 4236 with my Orion VX8.

Sorry for the confusion fellas I've edited the original post to include the correct designation.

It's large and diffuse but well worth a look. A target for the PSP this weekend. 

Also known as Caldwell 3. 

56 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Alan

Great that you grab HH again. I think @John and I need to visit you :happy11:

If you don't mind the barn your always welcome, not the best designed house in the world conisdering the size of it, lack of bedrooms but many conversation points and of couse 5 scopes.

Alan

4 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Damian I must admit that I was thrown for a minute. I am hoping to go a National Trust dark site tonight and will hopefully view NGC 4236 with my Orion VX8.

I'd gone off Googling 4326 too!! :grin:

Was worth a look - if only in Google images! ...cloud/rain/snow/wind here (again :rolleyes2:)

Very nice report btw :thumbsup:

Archived