Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Last Seagull - we promise! SHO 'Hubble Palette'

gnomus

Mrs Gnomus has posted her LRGB and HaOIIILRGB Seagull's here https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/288405-ic-2177-seagull-nebula-from-deep-sky-west/#comment-3161702 and here https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/289160-ic-2177-seagull-nebula-now-with-ha-and-oiii/#comment-3170601  We also had a small amount of SII data from DSW, however.  I thought I would try putting together a SHO ('Hubble Palette') version.  I struggle somewhat with SHO and usually end up going a little berserk with 'Selective Colour' and various Saturation effects in Photoshop.  I followed the suggestions here: http://www.bf-astro.com/hubbleP.htm but only to some extent.  The numbers that Mr Franke gives are, I think, intended more as a guide than a prescription.  In any event, this image popped out.  I very much doubt that I could reproduce it if I had to start from scratch.  One day I will need to find someone who can show me properly how to do these SHO images.

• SII: 4 x 1800
  • Ha: 23x1800s
  • OIII: 7x1800

For a total of 17 hours. 

Scope: Tak 106; Mount: Paramaount MyT; Camera: QSI 683; Filters: Astrodon.

Seagull_SHO_Finalx1920.thumb.jpg.9fc34db6aaa4d2f8ca0d72ae17a345c5.jpg

It's nice but on this occasion I think you have the same small stars and (almost) contrasts in the natural colour version plus - well - natural colour!

However the palette is very attractive without the uncomfortable greens I associate with it.  Excellent.

Olly

9 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

I think that's a wonderful image. Well done.

Thank you Michael.

40 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

It's nice but on this occasion I think you have the same small stars and (almost) contrasts in the natural colour version plus - well - natural colour!

However the palette is very attractive without the uncomfortable greens I associate with it.  Excellent.

Olly

I too prefer the natural colours.  However, I wondered if the SHO version gave me a few more details in some regions than we were able to get in either the LRGB or HaOIIILRGB versions.  Areas like this....  the 'Full Size' button should show what I am talking about I hope (Crop boxes are at 100%).  I suppose that if they are there we should be able to bring them out in the natural colour images, but so far, no dice.

Details.thumb.jpg.dd339fc6871c87575d0a5892729d6d5d.jpg

Another lovely Seagull Steve, looks like you got your monies worth out of DSW.

I always think that a close up of the head would make a nice stand alone image, do they have any long focal length setups ?

Dave

7 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Another lovely Seagull Steve, looks like you got your monies worth out of DSW.

I always think that a close up of the head would make a nice stand alone image, do they have any long focal length setups ?

Dave

They do.  It might cost a few more pennies though.  I agree with you about the head and would have a go myself at 840mm, but the object is awfully low round these parts.

There is no question Narrowband reveals more structure details--the Ha being the lum-when there are NB emissions to image.  I have come to like the pallette--especially when it is potrayed as well as this.

Rodd

Archived