Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC 2177 - Seagull Nebula from Deep Sky West

MrsGnomus

This is more data from Deep Sky West.

I was keen to process this myself as the Seagull is one of my favourite objects (as you can tell from my avatar).

Scope: Tak 106; Mount: Paramaount MyT; Camera: QSI 683; Filters: Astrodon

• Lum: 17x900s
  • Red: 16x900s
  • Green: 16x900s
  • Blue: 16x900s

For a total of 16 hours and 15 minutes. 

Processing in PixInsight and Photoshop.  All C&C welcome.  

LRGB_Seagull_Lis_Final_Satx1920.thumb.jpg.9d75ee4823a4df0be3aa2ef3140dd780.jpg

1 hour ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Very subtly done MrsGnomus - I really like the delicate touch to the wispy tendrils around the Seagull's 'head'.  Very natural.  Great stuff & good job.

56 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Lovely. As Barry wrote: subtle rendering.

49 minutes ago, swag72 said:

There's good star colour in this and it is subtle ..... I like it

Thanks everyone. I think I was driving @gnomus nuts with my cautious (and slow) approach to tackling this. It certainly took me a lot longer than it would have taken him so his computer has been tied up for hours while I played.

9 minutes ago, wxsatuser said:

Well done Mrs Gnomus, now hide the PC. ;)

Too late...he is already back processing something else while I make our dinner.

13 minutes ago, sloz1664 said:

That is is really nice, well processed and I love it.

Thanks very much for the positive feedback. Having my own in house "critic" helps with my tendency to want to post the first version that I am happy with.  This one is definitely much better than where I left off last night - that one had horrible stars although I was quite happy with it at the time.

4 minutes ago, MrsGnomus said:

Too late...he is already back processing something else while I make our dinner.

Thanks very much for the positive feedback. Having my own in house "critic" helps with my tendency to want to post the first version that I am happy with.  This one is definitely much better than where I left off last night - that one had horrible stars although I was quite happy with it at the time.

Well you certainly nailed that one. The stars are beautiful.

From Steve (not the one whom's the critic}

It's always good to sit back and assess your image for some time before posting in my opinion.... If it's sat on your PC for 2 days without a tweak then it's ready to post! In the meantime, don't let Steve spend all your ££'s on DSW.... get him to get you your own PC :D 

That's my take on processing and when it's time to post anyway!! I've found that I am no longer as eager to hear the cries of blinded folks as I once was  as they peruse my latest 'bright offering' :D 

23 minutes ago, swag72 said:

don't let Steve spend all your ££'s on DSW.... get him to get you your own PC

I do have my own PC - it's the one that Steve had before he built one last year specifically for image processing. It does have all the image processing software installed but it is very slow (steam driven) and doesn't have the twin calibrated monitors that his shiny new one has so it is nowhere near as friendly to use.  My current laptop is just about to be pressed into use on the new dual rig that we are planning so maybe I will consider replacing that although I don't really like processing on a laptop as the image seems to change considerably depending on the angle of the screen.

Don't deviate from the Grand Philosophy of Astro Imaging which is to take small steps. Or rather, small steps...

Not one single aspect of your image is over processed. There is not a shred of evidence to suggest the use of hard drugs! Nothing is over done. The image looks very fine indeed. LSD free.

This means that, in my view, you can take it further - as and when you see fit. AP does not have to be an exercise in mania, it can also be an excercise in restraint! Jackie Stewart said, 'Don't get on the power till you can stay on the power.'   People used to say that he looked slow. He replied that that was how he liked to look.

Olly

1 minute ago, MrsGnomus said:

Perhaps the LSD will be in the Ha....I haven't looked at that yet.......A task for another day perhaps.

Oh it will, especially if you use it as luminance! If you apply it in PI it will go up your nose as well!!!!!

:evil4:lly

Archived