Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Leaving Telescope "Set Up"

Hi SGL,

At the moment i don't have somewhere "proper" to store my 'scope or something to store it inside (case/bag etc). It is currently in my bedroom fully set up and ready to go however with the dust caps fitted on the EP and OTA. It is fairly close to my bed and i am wondering if the "dust" (not that my room is overly dusty) could somehow creep inside and find itself on the Primary Mirror which is currently pointing towards my bed about a meter away. I often give it a once over with a microfiber cloth to keep the dust settling on any part of it so it is always relatively dust free.

Would it be okay to stay where it is or should i try and move it elsewhere in the house? (It is a Skywatcher 150p EQ3-2)

Thanks in advance! :)

Should be fine where it is. Not that it should really matter, but i'd store it away from any heat source (be it a radiator and out of direct sunlight from a window).

Most of my gear is packed away in big white plastic Ikea storage boxes, which i have stored away under my bed.

0261197_PE405353_S5.JPG

My mum had a pack of these for her garden shrubs http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-x-Large-Plant-Frost-Protection-Jackets-Garden-Shrub-Fleece-Winter-Cover-Trees-/322366030153?hash=item4b0e834149:g:U2cAAOSw5cNYWmVT and suggested that I try one over my new telescope which we had also decided to store set-up and ready to go - the Dob sits nicely upright in its stand.  They are very thin, but made of lint free material and are a great size for puling over a set-up telescope.  You might find something like that useful to pull over the whole set-up.  I keep all the covers on the OTA which it came with, but also pull the green shrub-cover over the whole set-up.

2 hours ago, Woolnut said:

It is fairly close to my bed and i am wondering if the "dust" (not that my room is overly dusty) could somehow creep inside and find itself on the Primary Mirror which is currently pointing towards my bed about a meter away.

I'd be less concerned about dust (not an issue with caps in place) and more concerned about you or someone else tripping over and possibly knocking over the setup scope in your darkened bedroom at night.  As an alternative, some folks keep them in the corner of their living/family room as a decorative/conversation piece.

10 hours ago, Louis D said:

I'd be less concerned about dust (not an issue with caps in place) and more concerned about you or someone else tripping over and possibly knocking over the setup scope in your darkened bedroom at night.  As an alternative, some folks keep them in the corner of their living/family room as a decorative/conversation piece.

Thankfully it is next to my wall and also a bed side table so unless i was really drunk i should just be able to navigate around it! :p

12 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Should be fine where it is. Not that it should really matter, but i'd store it away from any heat source (be it a radiator and out of direct sunlight from a window).

Most of my gear is packed away in big white plastic Ikea storage boxes, which i have stored away under my bed.

That's not a bad shout... certainly cheaper and probably just as effective as getting the mega expensive "branded" cases!!  

17 hours ago, Woolnut said:

Hi SGL,

At the moment i don't have somewhere "proper" to store my 'scope or something to store it inside (case/bag etc). It is currently in my bedroom fully set up and ready to go however with the dust caps fitted on the EP and OTA. It is fairly close to my bed and i am wondering if the "dust" (not that my room is overly dusty) could somehow creep inside and find itself on the Primary Mirror which is currently pointing towards my bed about a meter away. I often give it a once over with a microfiber cloth to keep the dust settling on any part of it so it is always relatively dust free.

Would it be okay to stay where it is or should i try and move it elsewhere in the house? (It is a Skywatcher 150p EQ3-2)

Thanks in advance! :)

When you are asleep you evaporate about 1 litre of water per night. On top of that you shed a lot of skin particles... Together these are a recipe for fungus... (organic particles and water in a moderate temperature)
If would try to find a nice cool place in a shed, where you can park your telescope under a good dust cover preferably with some kind of heating underneath like skibootheaters on the accessory tray or something like that to keep it just above dew temperature.
A little garden shed would be a lot better than your bedroom... A bedroom is always kind of dusty, because of your movement in the bed and the wear ans tear on the blankets and sheets.

The 'branded' cases are often airtight... putting a desiccant bag in there makes them dry and clean on the inside. The Ikea boxes are far from airtight and take almost just as much dust and moist as the rest of your room.

19 hours ago, Waldemar said:

When you are asleep you evaporate about 1 litre of water per night. On top of that you shed a lot of skin particles... Together these are a recipe for fungus... (organic particles and water in a moderate temperature)
If would try to find a nice cool place in a shed, where you can park your telescope under a good dust cover preferably with some kind of heating underneath like skibootheaters on the accessory tray or something like that to keep it just above dew temperature.
A little garden shed would be a lot better than your bedroom... A bedroom is always kind of dusty, because of your movement in the bed and the wear ans tear on the blankets and sheets.

The 'branded' cases are often airtight... putting a desiccant bag in there makes them dry and clean on the inside. The Ikea boxes are far from airtight and take almost just as much dust and moist as the rest of your room.

Thanks for this, i will have a look around the house this weekend and work out if there is anywhere better to store it. I do have a shed and a Garage however i feel that leaving it out in the cold won't do it any good? Am i wrong with that?

If leaving it in one of the garages is an option i would probably get a dust cover for it or something as i may as well leave it set up!

Better in the bedroom than outside in the wind and rain, just keep the scope pointing down and the covers on and it shouldn't come to too much harm. Would be better in a cool dry place (garage or shed) with a cover over it so you don't have to wait as long for it to cool down to outside temp. I keep a large desiccant pack inside mine as well to keep the damp at bay

I have the same set up as you, great isn't it. I store mine in a small shed, I have all my bits and pieces in a tool box, then stand the scope on that with shower caps (yes I said shower caps!) on each end, with the mirror at the top. I have screwed some metal loop/hook things in the side of the shed and I pull a bungy cord around the scope so it doesn't get knocked over. The tripod just stands next to it. 

All this means it is pretty much ready to go as soon as set up. 

Just now, Peco4321 said:

I have the same set up as you, great isn't it. I store mine in a small shed, I have all my bits and pieces in a tool box, then stand the scope on that with shower caps (yes I said shower caps!) on each end, with the mirror at the top. I have screwed some metal loop/hook things in the side of the shed and I pull a bungy cord around the scope so it doesn't get knocked over. The tripod just stands next to it. 

Mall this means it is pretty much ready to go as soon as set up. 

Hmm... This could work also! I will have to work out what the best option is for me, thanks! :p 

4 hours ago, Woolnut said:

Thanks for this, i will have a look around the house this weekend and work out if there is anywhere better to store it. I do have a shed and a Garage however i feel that leaving it out in the cold won't do it any good? Am i wrong with that?

If leaving it in one of the garages is an option i would probably get a dust cover for it or something as i may as well leave it set up!

The cool shed or garage would be great to store your scope. It is far better for your scope to leave it in the cold than hauling it in- and outside. The huge changes of temperatures  are better avoided, in spite of what other people are saying.
on top of that you need less time to reach temperature equilibrium when you want to observe. The best covers are these: http://www.telegizmos.com/365 sizes and prices page 2.htm I am in no way connected to them, but have great experiences with them.
with those you could even leave it outside if there is no chance of stealing or stormwinds. Cold, heat or rain does not effect your scope, if using a small heater underneath to stay just above dew point, as mentioned before.

2 hours ago, Waldemar said:

Cold, heat or rain does not effect your scope

What about electronics?  My shed reaches 130 to 140 degrees F on hot summer days in the full Texas sun.  Is there any danger my telescope's sonotube could delaminate from moisture coupled with high temperatures?  I don't have any way to run a power cord out to my shed to run a dew heater.  It's humid enough in the shed that my particle board shelving has warped over the years.

Electronics can be protected with nano technology. A product called NanoProtech Electric does an excellent job. You will have to take the casings off to be able to reach the electronic board on both sides with the spraycan. 

Storing in a hot, damp environment without the possibility to use an electric dehumidifier or sufficient airification or cooing is a bad idea... Just don't do that.

7 hours ago, Waldemar said:

Storing in a hot, damp environment without the possibility to use an electric dehumidifier or sufficient airification or cooing is a bad idea... Just don't do that.

Pretty much what I thought.  I've been storing my scopes in closets in my heated/cooled house for nearly 20 years without incident.  It has the advantage that my mirror coatings haven't degraded during that time like they probably would have if they had been stored outdoors or even in the garage.

Archived