Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Distance in degrees between Procyon & Aldebaran

Hello everyone,

I am having trouble with the settings of my Orion Intelliscope system. I am supposed to calibrate the intelliscope with 2 stars distant from at least 60 degrees.

Could someone tell me if the 2 stars I am using (Procyon & Aldebaran) are at least 60 degrees apart from eachother? Using the fist/finger way of measuring seems to me that they are just over 60 degrees.

I am having wrap errors of 3.4 so that is quite a lot. Maybe another issue is that my balcony is not totally flat.

Thanks for your confirmation.

Scotlandyard

So long as you initially carefully set the scope absolutely level ( on first set up, with a spirit level), my understanding is likewise that your observing surface (ground, decking, concrete whatever) is not a factor in getting a good low reading.  I've managed a couple of 0.0, but usually not! Good enough to get (for example) Uranus in my eyepiece, even if not centred.

Persevere - it's a good (nice and) simple system :)

Archived