Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astronomy monthlies anyone?

BeerMe

I got a great introductory offer for Sky At Night magazine - £5 for 5 issues then £21.30 for 6 months recurring subscription.  The lady at subscriptionnow gave me a bonus code cos the one advertised in the Feb 2017 issue had actually expired!  The "January Sale" code btw ;-)   

Are the others like Astronomy Now decent?  What else is out there?

Hope your SAN subscription goes better than mine. I cancelled SAN last year after not receiving all my subscription, and had to constantly ring up to get another copy sent out by actual post. The initial copies that got lost were delivered by a courier whose idea of delivering ithe magazine was to throw it on your gasrden path if you were luck. My son has bought me another SAN subscription for Christmas and this is going exactly the same way too, copies not arriving. February's copy still not shown up, so that's 1 out of 2 delivered. 2017 looks like it will be a repeat of 2016 here. It gets tiresome after a while to constantly complain about missing copies. Hope yours actually get delivered OK. :( 

The editorial approach is very different between Astronomy Now and Sky at Night so you can get good value from both magazines either from the different material in each or the different way they approach the same subject.  Because I spend half my time in France and half in UK my Sky at Night is delivered to my UK address (and I have never missed a copy yet) and Astronomy Now will go to my French address.  It means I get back numbers building up at each location but at least I'm up to date with at least one.  OK, I could buy an Android app for both of them and never get a backlog but at 77 I still like the feel of printed paper in my hand. 

You might also be interested in this site:

http://earthsky.org/tonight

It's a daily newsletter, primarily aimed at US subscribers but still of great interest to anyone in the northern hemisphere.  It is free but they do appreciate a sub to keep it going.

For other reading you might visit your local Oxfam bookshop.  Almost my entire library of high quality astronomy books has been built from visits to one or other of our local branches.  I hope this is helpful.

1 hour ago, laudropb said:

Got to say I have never had any problems with the delivery of my S@N magazines. I also subscribe to AN as well and enjoy both, but then I prefer reading to watching TV on a cloudy night. 

Thanks mate that's reassuring :-)

35 minutes ago, Relpet said:

The editorial approach is very different between Astronomy Now and Sky at Night so you can get good value from both magazines either from the different material in each or the different way they approach the same subject.  Because I spend half my time in France and half in UK my Sky at Night is delivered to my UK address (and I have never missed a copy yet) and Astronomy Now will go to my French address.  It means I get back numbers building up at each location but at least I'm up to date with at least one.  OK, I could buy an Android app for both of them and never get a backlog but at 77 I still like the feel of printed paper in my hand. 

You might also be interested in this site:

http://earthsky.org/tonight

It's a daily newsletter, primarily aimed at US subscribers but still of great interest to anyone in the northern hemisphere.  It is free but they do appreciate a sub to keep it going.

For other reading you might visit your local Oxfam bookshop.  Almost my entire library of high quality astronomy books has been built from visits to one or other of our local branches.  I hope this is helpful.

Thanks for the input and link Relpet, very useful!  Hopefully subscriptionnow are up to the job, we'll see :-)

I subscribe to both and never missed one yet, I have a very good postman,

I think that is where your problem is, the subscriptions are automatically sent

I doubt they are not sent, they go missing in the delivery process.

5 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

I'll happily 2nd. the suggestion regards earthsky.org - a decent daily.

Here's another:

http://cosmicpursuits.com/

This being the baby of Brian Ventrudo. Not a daily, but good articles and information on a variety of astronomy-topics. Well worth a (free, of course) subcription.

Dave

Thanks for another great link, Dave.

Peter (aka Fang).

I've had no problems with delivery of the S@N magazine itself, but the 'gift' that came with the subscription (started early December) still hasn't arrived. 

Every phone call promises it will be delivered "within the next 48 hours", but 2 months later still no joy...

Archived