Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skytee 2, your experience and thoughts please...

Alan White

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, parallaxerr said:

Blimey, it's all go in the Alt/Az mount mob!

I've shown my astro society my Tak 100 on the Giro mount and I don't think many had seen something like that (mostly GOTO SCT addicts :rolleyes2:). I've had a number of enquires already from folks who are attracted to the portable, simple, quick to set up / tear down style of viewing. I'm an alt-az evangelist ! :grin:

I have owned the skytee and as stated it has good and bad points, i fitted long slo mo cables that were nice to use and as it had a Baader/Vixen clamp i fitted a second one same as, it also had play in the Azimuth bearings, i managed to tweak and fettle this out, they are a robust simple mount with good capacity, and i have been thinking of getting another, but i am waiting to see how the design of the all new Fork AZ mount is coming on and what it will cost, but should be a very solid bit of kit

1 hour ago, nightfisher said:

i am waiting to see how the design of the all new Fork AZ mount is coming on and what it will cost, but should be a very solid bit of kit

Haven't heard of this one - any more info?

1 hour ago, nightfisher said:

I have owned the skytee and as stated it has good and bad points, i fitted long slo mo cables that were nice to use and as it had a Baader/Vixen clamp i fitted a second one same as, it also had play in the Azimuth bearings, i managed to tweak and fettle this out, they are a robust simple mount with good capacity, and i have been thinking of getting another, but i am waiting to see how the design of the all new Fork AZ mount is coming on and what it will cost, but should be a very solid bit of kit

Any indication of when the new fork mount might land at all?

I've sometimes thought that a 2 fork version of the AZ-4 would be an interesting idea. The AZ-4, IMHO, does pretty well for a single fork mount so double that up and add some more mass and you could have a very surdy platform.

Thanks folks; The Skytee 2 is now discounted from my progress, I will go for a giro type mount, which one though?
Short list now down to two really.

AYO
Giro Ercole

Prices silmilar, one made in Germany, one made in Switzerland, so well engineered.
Like the AYO for looks and simplicity, but not sure it can be locked like the Ercole for EP changes.
Like the Ercole for its solid Germanic build and the fact it can be locked down for EP changes.
Your thoughts please on which way I should jump.

26 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Like the AYO for looks and simplicity, but not sure it can be locked like the Ercole for EP changes.
Like the Ercole for its solid Germanic build and the fact it can be locked down for EP changes.
Your thoughts please on which way I should jump.

Vorsprung Durch Technik :wink:

I have had a couple of AyoDigi II mounts. One was bought second hand and was excellent, wish I had not sold it. With the encoders it made a great push to system.

The other new one had a problem and despite very good support I was unable to fix it so I returned it. Don't take this as any indication of problems with the AOK mounts, I think it was a one off and was apparently easily sorted once at the factory. The problem when I purchased was that I had to import it myself. Now FLO are onboard the whole thing will be much more simple and with the reassurance of a top retailer as a buyer.

Out of the two, I think I prefer the Ercole. It is simple, very solid and effective. The top lock works very well too although it is worth being careful regardless. That said, I do like encoders so would consider another AOK mount in future; the rumoured Ercole with encoders never happened unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, Alan White said:

OK so Giro is getting the alt as gangs vote.

So what clamp fitting to go with the Giro then?

I like the Berlebach non marking one, but an ADM look more secure?

+1 for the Berlebach clamp.

The ADM is also great, and often preferred. I found it a tad less reassuring at the moment of inserting the dovetail due to it being less recessed, had to double check to make sure the dovetail was actually in there properly. But once in and clamped it's the business.

TS offer my favorite clamp for heavier scopes. It's the square model in the picture with the dual clamping mechanism. Nice and deeply recessed, no doubt whether the dovetail is in.

The square single clamp, also from TS, is narrow and requires sliding the dovetail in from either end. This feature adds security, but will not be suitable for all tube configurations.

tmp_15052-DSC_03091740750698.JPG

Just now, iPeace said:

That's your old ADM in the picture - now passed on to John.

:happy11:

I thought it looked familiar :smile:

I finally managed to get the other one off with some very careful drilling so now have dual saddles on both sides :grin: 

Archived